Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 4784 times)

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
What was the last book you read?
« on: October 15, 2006, 06:06:47 PM »
Mine was Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke.

I really liked it. Here's a summary I copied and pasted from somewhere. (the lazy bugger I am) :lol:

Two magicians shall appear in England. The first shall fear me; the second shall long to behold me…
Centuries ago, when magic still existed in England, the greatest magician of them all was the Raven King. A human child brought up by fairies, the Raven King blended fairy wisdom and human reason to create English magic. Now, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, he is barely more than a legend, and England, with its mad King and its dashing poets, no longer believes in practical magic.

Then the reclusive Mr Norrell of Hurtfew Abbey appears and causes the statues of York Cathedral to speak and move. News spreads of the return of magic to England and, persuaded that he must help the government in the war against Napoleon, Mr Norrell goes to London. There he meets a brilliant young magician and takes him as a pupil. Jonathan Strange is charming, rich and arrogant. Together, they dazzle the country with their feats.

But the partnership soon turns to rivalry. Mr Norrell has never conquered his lifelong habits of secrecy, while Strange will always be attracted to the wildest, most perilous magic. He becomes fascinated by the shadowy figure of the Raven King, and his heedless pursuit of long-forgotten magic threatens, not only his partnership with Norrell, but everything that he holds dear.

Elegant, witty and utterly compelling, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell creates a past world of great mystery and beauty that will hold the reader in thrall until the last page.
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline raisemyglass

• Super Moderator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 07:03:31 PM »
I am currently reading Fyodor Dostoevsky's "House of the Dead". It is my 3 or 4 time reading it. IMHO Dostoevsky is the greatest literary writer of all time. I am usually reading something out of his catalogue all of the time. It is basically a retelling of his time spent in a Siberian prision camp, only reset to fiction.
Jason
Crows Town Super Moderator

The enemy is within, don\'t confuse me with him.

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 07:15:53 PM »
Absolute Friends By John Le Carre (The Constant Gardener)
 The story of Ted Mundy, son of British Army Officer born at the time of partition of India in the late 1940's and the events in his life going to West Berlin in 1960's the meeting of Sasha (the friend) a left wing activist during Vietnam war, and subsequent recruitment to the British Intelligent Service and beyond.
  Its a story about friendship, of ideals and ultimately betrayel. Ive read most of Le Carre's novels and think this is his best one, he has added something to his writing over last few years, the crititcs say passion, I will have to agree with them, the climax of the book is leaves you both emotional and angry.
 A lot of LeCarre's recent novels have been made into films, I don't think this one will be, not that it is not good enough the subject matter although fiction is too sensitive and possibly to close for comfort for the likes of Washington & Downing Street and their war on terror.
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline ImDez

• Four for a Birth
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 12:52:38 AM »
Other than textbooks, the last book I read for pleasure was the complete volume of Chronicles of Narnia.  

I love Sci-Fi/Fantasy and am a HUGE fan of Piers Anthony!  

Ahhh!   I just love to read!
The wind cries, a girl\'s voice sings
You turn to see her, but don\'t find a thing

Offline raisemyglass

• Super Moderator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:31:09 AM »
Quote from: ImDez;401
Other than textbooks, the last book I read for pleasure was the complete volume of Chronicles of Narnia.  QUOTE]

I am currently reading "Price Caspian" to my 4 year old daughter. She is dressing up as Lucy for Halloween. Went and saw the movie (Lion, Witch...) a couple times in the theater and have seen a few dozen more times on dvd.:thumbsup:
Jason

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 04:59:27 AM »
I just read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and The Last Battle for my English seminar; it was interesting to return to them, because I loved the Chronicles when I was little. Was anyone else obsessed with the BBC movies? I definitely was. Anyway, it was weird reading them for a class because we looked at them critically. I never really noticed the misogyny in the books before, but it's definitely there.

I love this class, though; it's called Theology in Children's Literature, so we read children's books. Right now I'm in the middle of Lois Lowry's Messenger, which is great (it's in a trilogy with The Giver).
Claire

Offline jgsgtr

• Three for a Wedding
The Creative Process
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 06:00:09 AM »
I'm (re)reading "The Creative Process" by Brewster Ghiselin. A book aging over 50years now.

The most original thinkers explain how new ideas are born and developed in art, literature, and science. Personal letters, diaries, memos  of 38 different creatives.

Insight of human inventiveness throught the words (and worlds) of such greats as Mozart, Einstein, Van Gogh, Nietzsche, Yeats, etc. Amazing.
Honey, I\'m just trying to make some sense outta me.

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 02:01:24 AM »
Bump!

I just finished When We Were Orphans, which is by Kazuo Ishiguro, one of my favorite writers. The book is about a detective who was orphaned as a child and, as an adult, decides to go searching for his parents, believing that they are not really dead. I highly recommend it. His most recent novel, Never Let Me Go, is also very good.

Now I'm starting The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates, another one of my favorite authors. I went to hear her speak on Monday (and got her to sign my copy of The Falls). I've seen her speak before, and every time I am amazed at her wit and brilliance. She's very funny in person.
Claire

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »
I'm reading Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens, and a (surprise surprise) murder mystery book by PD James (can't remember the title). I don't usually read several books at the time, but Dickens books are so thick that I need a break from them now and then. It is a very nice book though.
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline raisemyglass

• Super Moderator
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
I am currently re-reading "Candide" by Voltaire. I forgot how funny it is since the last time I read it.
Jason

Offline newtonkevin

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »
I just finished The Wild Blue by Stephen Ambrose about B-24 pilots in world war two.  I am currently reading a Mark Twain biography by Ron Powers and a funny novel, Practical Demon Keeping by Christopher Moore.  Ambrose wrote Band of Brothers and his history books are really easy reads.

kev in St. Louis

Offline sreeja

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 06:39:39 AM »
I am now reading the book "India Of My Dream" by Gandhiji.

Offline Geno

• Two for Mirth
    • http://www.countingcrowscovers.com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 01:26:48 AM »
I am currently (finally!) reading the final Harry Potter book but the last book I read was Ugly Americans by Ben Mezrich.  He wrote one of my favourite books which is about the MIT students who took Vegas for millions at Blackjack (Bringing Down The House) and Ugly Americans, while not quite as good, is also great.  It is about investment banking in Japan and chronicles the time around the Nick Leeson/Barings Bank scandal.  Interesting stuff and very well written.

Offline Nicolas

• The Law Is Back In Town
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 02:30:17 AM »
Quote from: Geno;15646
I am currently (finally!) reading the final Harry Potter book.

i warn you, before you finish reading the last HP, that book is TOTAL crap. i enjoyed the other six, specially 4-5-6, realizing though that JK rowling is not a good writer. but the 7th book has lots of flaws, specially the stupid, boring end. i wont spoil it for you, but i cant sincerely believe any person in his/her right state of mind liked that end. the rest of the book seems to have vanished of the better writing that had appeared on the previous book, the half-blood prince. i think that those were my worst-spent $15 in this lifetime.

Offline Bohm

• I Bleed Awesome
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 03:47:13 AM »
Read "Fools" by Ndebele for my African Lit class.  Not too bad :P
I want a white bread life
Just something ignorant and plain

Money may not buy you love, but it will buy plenty of hookers and blow - Me
Life is like walking into a room.  People notice you when you make a grand entrance, but people remember you when you make a grand exit - Me

anything