Author Topic: Lossy torrents.  (Read 4393 times)

Offline jgsgtr

• Three for a Wedding
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 01:40:08 AM »
Quote from: philjw;10504
I do have to disagree with the idea of converting to flac just for sharing's sake.  If the show is lossy in flac format, that's fine.  But if all anyone has is mp3s, then that should be shared.  Copying an mp3 does nothing to the file.  The problem is converting the mp3 to flacs, cdda, etc. and then re-encoding to mp3.  If we convert mp3 to flac just for the sake of sharing, then if someone wants to convert it to mp3 for personal listening, they end up with a worse copy than if we just shared the mp3 to begin with.  Not to mention making the downloads much bigger than necessary and wasting bandwidth.

I don't think file size should be a huge issue. But I would like to see the possibility of the best .mp3 version of a show sought out and available... letting people upgrading their inferior napster versions.

How do you protect the current lossy file from being degraded? My uneducated guess was flac formating. If lossless sharing was acceptable I think it should be treated as ''cleaning the .mp3 waters'' ,so to speak....letting the best quality .mp3 win.
Honey, I\'m just trying to make some sense outta me.

Offline jgsgtr

• Three for a Wedding
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 03:07:21 AM »
Quote from: Simon;10496
It is like when i seed something new, an upgrade or a good show everyone thank me and all the BS!

it's more than just thanks...it's unexpurgated man love!!!!
Honey, I\'m just trying to make some sense outta me.

Offline ImDez

• Four for a Birth
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 04:32:07 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to keep lossless but if the only concert available is a poor quality lossless or a great sounding lossy, which would you prefer?   As I mentioned before, most of the shows I deleted were poor quality lossless!  I was amazed when someone sent me a concert that was lossy and couldn't figure out why it wasn't being seeded. Since I mostly dl from sites like Crows Town, I rarely get to hear a lossy concert.

CC don't put out like other artists and so I feel it's important to share any high quality CC concert our tapers provide.  We still know that lossless is a better format but let's take what we can get.
The wind cries, a girl\'s voice sings
You turn to see her, but don\'t find a thing

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 09:11:23 AM »
I wasn't going to join in this debate, as for the older members of this site, they know my views, but after reading Rob's comments I had to say "Well Said Sir" you have echoed my own feelings on this matter. Also as it it possible to make a lossy show, show up as lossless, I know I've done it not a whole show I will add, if you want to check the AAEA compilation we did there is one song on it which was lossy, but it fools all the ways of testing lossless/lossy formats.
Enough Said
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
To all of you who've been around this site since the beginning.....sorry for digging up the past. I knew it would be a contentious issue, possibly with no easy resolution, but I just had to know how people felt.

I guess the outcome doesn't currently affect me too much; or the likes of Simon and Graham for that matter. Our collections are pretty much complete. But for me personally, a massive amount of pleasure is gained from sharing the music. I try hard to accomodate requests. It gives me a kick to know that I've shipped out a copy of a gig to someone who was lucky enough to have been there. If more shows can be made easily available that would be great.

I think Rob's response was well reasoned (and surprisingly eloquent for an Aussie! ;) )...much appreciated mate. Going over all the posts again, there hasn't actually been an outright condemnation of the idea. Obviously we still have many opinions to hear, but if it remains this way the burning question has to be........can we address the situation somehow to give people access to these shows?

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 10:22:50 PM »
I think Rob made an excellent suggestion.  The idea of a DVD compilation set of the shows currently thought only to be available in lossy formats would eliminate the hassle of someone like Simon seeding them individually or of people like Geoff individually copying CD's and mailing them.  It would also not run the risk of discouraging upgraded lossless copies from being shared, because there would be no dedicated torrent for any of these shows.  It does sound like it could be some work to put such a thing together, but I would definitely be willing to help in any way I could.  I've gotten a lot out of this community and am glad to try to give back.  I guess the question would be, if we made such a compilation, seed it here (with a clear disclaimer) or make it available for more traditional (i.e., postal service) trading and B&Ps?  I would vote for seeding it here for all of the reasons previously discussed.  In any case, excellent idea, Rob!  :)

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 03:18:55 AM »
Quote from: acwk;10510

IS THERE A SOLUTION?
Probably not. One thing that simon has been very vigilant about is identifying the shows that are lossy. I think this is great, but I think that people still need a chance to hear these shows (although not via this site). Why not gather up all these shows, burn them to DVD as data and trade them that way. I’m sure there’s hundreds, but at least people would be able to easily distinguish them. And they would be able to be identified on peoples lists also. There could be like, 10 volumes of DVD data for lossy CC shows. Make it official or something. Set it in circulation that way and end the confusion. At least we could keep track of them.

I actually just wanted to pull this out because I think its an interesting idea - there are so many CC boots out there that it might be the easiest way to spread shows, both loss and lossless, as well as to keep things organized. I'd totally download a ISO of a data DVD of shows.

Offline BizFrk

• One for Sorrow
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 09:43:47 AM »
That is simply a great idea. Just wanted to chime in on that :)

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 10:18:39 AM »
This sounds like a possibility, but raises some questions in my technophobic mind. It emphasises Simon's bandwidth comment; will people want to be tied to seeding such disks for any length of time?
It takes me (and presumably others) forever to download dvd's. Will this see an increase in grabbing and then not seeding for long, leaving the inevitable few seeding?

The postal idea would presumably be based on the tree scheme used on various sites already? Anyone have any experience with these? How easy are they to establish?

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »
Quote from: cfmwh;10530
The postal idea would presumably be based on the tree scheme used on various sites already? Anyone have any experience with these? How easy are they to establish?

fucken easy....
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
Quote from: cfmwh;10530
This sounds like a possibility, but raises some questions in my technophobic mind. It emphasises Simon's bandwidth comment; will people want to be tied to seeding such disks for any length of time?
It takes me (and presumably others) forever to download dvd's. Will this see an increase in grabbing and then not seeding for long, leaving the inevitable few seeding?

One thing for sure is that i will not be seeding those on dvd's. I am already seeding alot and i expect some help from those who already got my stuff of other trackers or via a trade.

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »
I don't mind putting together a DVD of the lossy shows and seeding it, with the consent of the admin of course. Bandwidths not a problem for me and as one of the four people here with the collection to do it etc.
There is one problem no one has yet raised, which would also arise if distributed by B&P and a tree system. That is the difference between a MP3 show & a lossy show. I know which shows I've d/l or been sent which are MP3 and there are other shows which I've d/l or recieved in flac or shn or ape and appear to be lossy, which of these shows have been converted from MP3 to wav then compressed again and which have been originally recorded in a lossy format, because if I converted these shows to MP3 then its weakening the genepool again.
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 09:11:50 PM »
Quote from: Graham;10537
I don't mind putting together a DVD of the lossy shows and seeding it, with the consent of the admin of course. Bandwidths not a problem for me and as one of the four people here with the collection to do it etc.
There is one problem no one has yet raised, which would also arise if distributed by B&P and a tree system. That is the difference between a MP3 show & a lossy show. I know which shows I've d/l or been sent which are MP3 and there are other shows which I've d/l or recieved in flac or shn or ape and appear to be lossy, which of these shows have been converted from MP3 to wav then compressed again and which have been originally recorded in a lossy format, because if I converted these shows to MP3 then its weakening the genepool again.

Dammit.....somebody tell me how to get all these bloody worms back in the can!

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 09:50:31 PM »
Quote from: cfmwh;10538
Dammit.....somebody tell me how to get all these bloody worms back in the can!

Stitches come undone again :oops:

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 10:35:03 PM »
Graham, I think we should only do it for shows that we have absolutely no other source for than a lossy source.

I'd be happy to contribute my bandwidth to help seed.
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12