Author Topic: Lossy torrents.  (Read 4298 times)

Offline kphamilton

• I believe it\'s love
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 10:55:28 PM »
I obviously do not have these shows, but if I got a copy of a dvd or something, I would also help in seeding.
- Kevin

Offline BizFrk

• One for Sorrow
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »
I would help in seeding those as well.

We could also put them on other trackers, you know.
If, for instance, we posted them on Demonoid (still tracked on here, but posted on their trakcer as "external"), that way we could get even more people to share it.

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 11:39:31 AM »
Quote from: acwk;10541
Graham, I think we should only do it for shows that we have absolutely no other source for than a lossy source.

I'd be happy to contribute my bandwidth to help seed.

My main point is about the lossy shows which are lossy from source, There are 2 shows which have been seeded here or Bootcity, which were pulled because they were lossy although the versions where straight from the taper,
Adelaide 2003 & a US show from 2002 (I think), you seeded them both. I think these shows should be allowed and lets check on other lossy shows, Its the black & white syndrome that annoys me about lossless/lossy policy. When checked on a wave editor in some cases there is a very fine line between a lossless & lossy show. There has to be a reason why and its these "grey area" shows I feel should be allowed
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
Lossy torrents.
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 02:12:26 PM »
Quote from: Graham;10550
My main point is about the lossy shows which are lossy from source, There are 2 shows which have been seeded here or Bootcity, which were pulled because they were lossy although the versions where straight from the taper,
Adelaide 2003 & a US show from 2002 (I think), you seeded them both. I think these shows should be allowed and lets check on other lossy shows, Its the black & white syndrome that annoys me about lossless/lossy policy. When checked on a wave editor in some cases there is a very fine line between a lossless & lossy show. There has to be a reason why and its these "grey area" shows I feel should be allowed

I agree.  The point of having a "lossless only" policy is to PRESERVE the work of the tapers without any degradation over time.  Assuming a taper uses a DAT, HiMD, R1, etc. this is an easy way to do it, but if someone tapes to MD or another lossy recorder, I think we'd be silly not to want to preserve that as well.  Especially if it's coming straight from the taper.  As mentioned in my previous posts, other (respected) sites allow this, and WE ALREADY HAVE THEM.  Whether or not you're own analysis of the waveform tell you lossy, something recorded on a pre-HiMD minidisc recorder is inherently lossy.  There are other ways to ensure that the integrity of the file is preserved, such as checksums.  The idea of the lossy compilation is great, but if we have shows that are known to be straight from the source, it would be inconsistent to not allow them here considering how many are already seeded.  Just my two cents.  No offense meant to anyone.