Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 1193 times)

Offline kromer891

• Three for a Wedding
Just a thought...
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:58:21 AM »
Okay, now I know this is a long shot to be sure! I woke up this morning in a foggy haze after about three hours of sleep with this thought in my head... and it's just a thought.

We have some shows such as Shim Sham 03 that are only available to the trading community in lossy formats... we've all been through it before.

But what if somebody took an extremely low generational copy and put it on tape via CD. It could then be put back into digital media and preserved in a format that was once lossy, but would no longer be degraded as it was shared. It would be as low generation as possible...

How would the logistics work out in this case? Experts, please chime in!

Offline mrcmb99

• Two for Mirth
Just a thought...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »
Welp, im no expert, but being that this had been done before, id say its ok.  I guess it depends on the availiblity of a better copy.  If nothing better is availiable, then i say go for it.  

Many of the shows from 1993-1994 tour were origianlly done on cassette tapes.  Most of the conversions were done from the origitnal tapes or a second generation copy.  Thats all thats out there, so go for it.

Offline ImDez

• Four for a Birth
Just a thought...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:53:20 PM »
*sigh*

Do you know how many people have suggested the same thing?  I say if nothing else but lossy is available and the show is rare and the lossy quality excellent, share it!

But hey, I'm just a consumer so what the hell do I know?

Good luck to you though!
The wind cries, a girl\'s voice sings
You turn to see her, but don\'t find a thing

Offline mrcmb99

• Two for Mirth
Just a thought...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:39:38 AM »
Umm, yeah, im not gonna get into a philosopicanl fight with people out there, but my theory has alwasy been circulate the best copy availiable.  If the best thing available is a fourth generation cassette or whatever, then let it circulate.  But i know there are plenty who tend to disagree, and im not even gonna waste my time fighting those merits with anyone...