Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 3764 times)

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
Book recommendations
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »
I'm always on the lookout for new books to read, so if anyone have a fave or two to recommend, please post here.

One that I really liked was "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.  

Vida Winter, a bestselling yet reclusive novelist, has created many outlandish life histories for herself, all of them invention. Now old and ailing, at last she wants to tell the truth about her extraordinary life. Her letter to biographer Margaret Lea - a woman with secrets of her own - is a summons. Vida's tale is one of gothic strangeness featuring the Angelfield family: the beautiful and wilful Isabelle and the feral twins Adeline and Emmeline. Margaret succumbs to the power of Vida's storytelling, but as a biographer she deals in fact not fiction and she doesn't trust Vida's account. As she begins her researches, two parallel stories unfold. Join Margaret as she begins her journey to the truth - hers, as well as Vida's.
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
Book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
'The Time Travellers Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger.

Amazing concept. Funny and sad. Couldn't put it down. Gave it to my youngest daughter afterwards......she read it in under 48 hours and was raving over it.

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
Book recommendations
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
I'm putting that one on my "to read" list, thanks!
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline Romeo99

• One for Sorrow
Book recommendations
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
Kite Runner - it has been out a while and was a huge bestseller - so you may have already read this.  Aslo Non Fiction that you want be able to put down; Nickle & Dimed.  Again been. around for years.  The Liar's Club and The Tipping Point are also great.  And if you are up for a classic East of Eden or The Good Earth.  I am huge reader, just finished Edgar Sawtelle, it was an Oprah pick - and I sometimes shy away from those but this one was excellent.

Offline moorefan

• Two for Mirth
Book recommendations
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »
The Book of Fate, by Brad Meltzer.  If political intrigue and conspiracies are your thing, this one's for you.

From Booklist
Wes Holloway, a hotshot presidential aide, is wounded in an assassination attempt that kills the president's close friend. Eight years later, the dead man reappears, disfigured but very much alive and apparently stalking the former president. Wes thinks he can figure out what's going on, but to do so he must decipher a two-century-old code and penetrate the secrets of Masonic history. From his first novel, The Tenth Justice (1997), through his sixth, Identity Crisis (2005), Meltzer has served up exciting thrillers that take readers behind the scenes of American politics. The pattern doesn't change this time. Like the television series The West Wing, Meltzer's novels focus on the political people the public never sees and tells the stories we never hear. He could be accused here of jumping on the Da Vinci Code bandwagon, but that wouldn't really be fair. He's too good a writer to waste his time imitating someone else's work, and this novel is much more skillfully written--and far more plausible--than Dan Brown's tedious best-seller. The characters are genuine human beings--not all that common in the world of high-concept thrillers--and the plot fluidly integrates historical fact and fiction, which is even less common. Fans of thrillers that reach far back into history will be, well, . . . thrilled. David Pitt

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
Book recommendations
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
Pretty much anything Chuck Klosterman. I recommend starting with Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, but Fargo Rock City (the smartest thoughts you'll ever read about hair metal) might also appeal to a lot of people here.

Just finished his novel Downtown Owl and enjoyed it a lot, although it didn't do as much for me as his non-fiction work.

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
Book recommendations
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
About a year ago, I PM'd a CT member about a comment he made in a thread.
Long story short, he recommended a book to me and I finally got round to buying a copy a couple of weeks ago.

The book is:
'Bootleg! The Rise And Fall Of The Secret Recording Industry'
by Clinton Heylin.
Published by Omnibus Press in 2003

The title speaks for itself really. It's a must read for all of us who are old enough to remember trying to get hold of bootlegs on vinyl. I'm only a third of the way through, so I can only assume it will get onto cd bootlegs etc...shortly. It's an excellent read so far.

Massive thanks to jldraw for drawing my attention to this book.

Offline john52il

Two mind blowing, eye opening books
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
Collapse, by Jared Diamond
Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman

I recommend that everyone read these two books.  They have genuinely changed my entire perspective on humanity, Earth, and their relationship to each other in the past, present and future.  I started with "Collapse", but I would say that "Hot, Flat and Crowded" is somewhat more contemporary and certainly more urgent.  

Among tons of other things, I feel that I understand (not support!) terrorists now (knowledge gleaned as I read the last 5 pages of "Collapse").  I also realize that the U.S. basically funds terrorism by buying more and more oil from "petrodictators" who are building more and more mosques and educating more and more people to hate westerners and the western lifestyle.  Whether you believe in global warming or not, it is hard to deny that billions and billions of dollars of American wealth is going to the Middle East and making those countries richer and America poorer.  Seems sensible to avoid using all that oil, no?
I need a raincoat \'cause I am the Rain King.

Offline john52il

Book recommendations
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
Quote from: cfmwh;29857
About a year ago, I PM'd a CT member about a comment he made in a thread.
Long story short, he recommended a book to me and I finally got round to buying a copy a couple of weeks ago.

The book is:
'Bootleg! The Rise And Fall Of The Secret Recording Industry'
by Clinton Heylin.
Published by Omnibus Press in 2003

The title speaks for itself really. It's a must read for all of us who are old enough to remember trying to get hold of bootlegs on vinyl. I'm only a third of the way through, so I can only assume it will get onto cd bootlegs etc...shortly. It's an excellent read so far.

Massive thanks to jldraw for drawing my attention to this book.

Sounds like a good one, I'll put it on my "to read" list.  Thanks!
I need a raincoat \'cause I am the Rain King.

anything