Author Topic: Crowstown Upgrade  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Crowstown Upgrade
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
Hi all,

Last week i recieved an email from Hal asking me if i wanted to upgrade this site to the new Vbulletin. The upgrade will bring this site up to the latest version of Vbulletin and the same Tracker as Tapecity. I have been trying to do this since along time now but there were problems contacting the developer. Now Hal seems to have the guy that can do this for us. It will cost me a bit more then 100$ to do this and i don't have a problem paying the bill but i want you all to look at tape city and see how the tracker is built first and let me know if you want it before we implement the whole thing. So please let me know your opinions before we do it.

http://www.tapecity.org/forums.php

@ Christine..... If we do this will you have the time to set up your theme and fix bugs if any? Also maybe you would wanna change a few things as it is more then 2 years since we did some work on this site.

Please let me know

Regards

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »
Would our new front page still have the new posts search? That's my favorite part of our layout, and it doesn't seem to be on the Tape City one, although I don't recall them ever having that.

Offline Anton

• Pierrot the clown
    • http://fitzcairn.wordpress.com/
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
I agree with cmigs what i like the most is the "recent threads" on the front page and i like the actual skin that christine made for us but does we will have the same after ? :)
http://www.myspace.com/woodythefrench | http://twitter.com/Fitzcairn_

"I\'ve been to Paris 2000, Austin Texas 2001, Paris 2003, Brussels 2004, Paris 2008 and Brussels 2008 !"

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:02:44 PM »
well i am just glad that Crowstown is around in any shape or form
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:38:04 PM »
Well the front page shouldn't be a problem however i can't promise anything.

Regarding the Crowstown theme. Well After the upgrade i am sure that christine will have to work on it so that is why i asked her if she has the time to do it.

Basically this upgrade will allow us to import the newest hacks and also a goodbye to these spam bots we have in here. I am tired of banning and deleting their stupid posts.  But all this is up to you guys.

I am awaiting for christine responce.

Offline Kasper

• waking and dreaming
    • http://www.myspace.com/kasperkristjansson
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
To be honest I prefer the way the site looks now more than the way tapecity looks.
It's so easy to work your way around and the colours are nice and suitable for this site. I don't know, I have always liked this site for the cool way it looks. :)
Whatever happens...
"...We\'ll still come around" ;)

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:56:41 PM »
Quote from: Kapper;29331
To be honest I prefer the way the site looks now more than the way tapecity looks.
It's so easy to work your way around and the colours are nice and suitable for this site. I don't know, I have always liked this site for the cool way it looks. :)

I think you misunderstood. The skin from the site will be implemented to the new upgrade by christine. What the upgrade will do is an update to the newest vbulleting (ours is very old and was never upgrade doe to the fact we never could contact the developer), a change in the way the tracker works, ie; you can know who leaving their torrents open and so on and many other important things.

Offline Kasper

• waking and dreaming
    • http://www.myspace.com/kasperkristjansson
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:38:55 PM »
Quote from: Simon;29332
I think you misunderstood. The skin from the site will be implemented to the new upgrade by christine. What the upgrade will do is an update to the newest vbulleting (ours is very old and was never upgrade doe to the fact we never could contact the developer), a change in the way the tracker works, ie; you can know who leaving their torrents open and so on and many other important things.

Okay! :)
You were right, I don't know what vbulleting means but I just wanted to let you know that I really like the way things look on this site. :)
If that's still going to be as cool as now then I'm in for whatever it is that you want to improve or upgrade. ;)
Whatever happens...
"...We\'ll still come around" ;)

Offline Etkar

• Guitar Hero wannabe
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »
Theres some improvement for our mods, or so it sounds by Simons words.
If theres better protection for this site, then YAY!

I like the colors as well, as i like the new posts starting page.

If that will be implemented, then go ahead. Im also glad crowstown is around.

But it all depends on Chris.....btw, havent seen her for a while....she still alive?
ed

Keep ur head cool and ur feet warm.

Offline checker806

• The light goes out...
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
I like to stick with what works...I love THIS site!

Just my opinion though:)
Did you think that you were dreamin...I said "no"
Did you think that you were dreamin...I said "no"
I didnt think that I was dreamin...Sometimes I dont know...

Houston, TX 9-7-06 "Round Here" alts...

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »
Great Site however it looks just wish I'd found it sooner, thanks for all your hard work

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 09:01:43 PM »
I say go for the upgrade. I think the features it offers are pretty cool and it never hurts to be using the same tech as Hal & Co.
I do like the current layout here in regards to the shoutbox and recent threads but it sounds like there's no saying that those couldn't be carried over.
Like everyone else - whatever is good for me - I'm just happy this place is here as well.

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:08:45 PM »
Simon........quite willing to donate if you want some cash towards the upgrade. Just say the word and let me / us know how.

Offline Nicolas

• The Law Is Back In Town
  • Global Moderator
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:15:09 PM »
i would like an update, but not if the front page wont be there anymore. its my favorite feature.

on a side note, will this include RSS capabilities? if so, the toolbar i designed could tell you if there's new posts and/or torrents.

anyway, thanks for your hard work simon ;)

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
Crowstown Upgrade
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
count me in too if you need some cash to make the upgrades happen.