Author Topic: Taping help for a possible newbie  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Adam

• Six for Gold
Taping help for a possible newbie
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:03:07 AM »
So, i'm thinking of buying some recording equipment to record the Newcastle show on the 27th.

I just need some help/idea's as to what recorder's other taper's prefer to use. I don't really go to a lot of concerts so i would rather spend money on something that would be practical and value for money.

Would appreciate any help and idea's you guys can give me as i would really love to record my first EVER Crows' show :)

Adam.

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:48:25 AM »
Adam I use the Zoom H4, I was trying to find a link for you but it seems its no longer available it has been superseeded by the Zoom H4n which unfortunately costs over a third more than I payed for my version. The most popular field recorder seems to be the
Edirol R09 series then you are still talking £250+.
Also I bought mine online although I wouldn't recommend the company I bought it from it took 2 months to arrive although I wasn't charged until it was dispatched. One online store which do seem to be reliable are Dolphin Music http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/browse/category_id/c8f68a5cbc00e65e6c05ebd0a3b83057

If you don't want to buy online I suggest you try musical instrument stores. You also need a device which will take at least 2GB of storage to record a full concert in WAV format
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
you could always just buy a decent second hand mini disc recorder and mic but if you have the money the ZOOM 4 looks so simple that even i may be able to use it , and if its an old model now you may just find one at  decent price ex display or even on ebay
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:02:03 AM by yidosengland »
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline kevtic

• Meep meep
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:43:32 AM »
I use a minidisc with sound professional cardioid mics.  Does ok for me although I've wondered if i should step up my gear but i think it might start to impact on my enjoyment of the show if I start to worry too much about the recording.  I tend to take a 'if it comes out ok then fine, if not that's the way it goes' viewpoint.

The minidisc is small enough to conceal unless it's a body search.  i usually don't bother taking it to those venues although if I'm not sure what the venue does then i put my minidisc in a camera case and hope they don't look inside.

Once you have bought something then your next enemy is recording levels.  Took me a few shows to get that right but as long as it isn't too high then you should be ok.  my minidisc has a range up to 30.  For a semi loud show like the crows at glasgow i had it at about 19.  probably about 15 would have been better as i got a couple of high end fuzz moments.

When i was recording Judas priest in Feb it was down at 9.  Acoustic shows i take it up to 22/23.

Lastly you will find yourself getting more annoyed about the talkers around than normal ;)

Offline ossobear

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
When I Recorded The Levellers in London @ The HMV Forum I used a Mini Disk With Pro Mic's and It came out okay Also ;)
Crows Town Moderator

Offline Adam

• Six for Gold
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »
Thanks for your opinions guys.
Now i've just got to see what is going to affordable against my wages.

Although an MD-Recorder is looking like the most feesable option at the moment :)

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »
Quote from: kevtic;32076
Lastly you will find yourself getting more annoyed about the talkers around than normal ;)

So right Kev, I was lucky In Brussels had Simon & Kasper flanking me, On Wednesday it totally different was sitting next to someone who couldn't keep quiet either whooping, chatting or retarded clapping, he was even out of time when clapping along with hanginaround:veryangry:
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline ossobear

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
and People Who think its okay to shout at who ever's playing their own Name, They f*cking know who they are !!!!:angry:

If youre @ A Gig I didn't pay to listen to You Shut the F*ck Up :veryangry:
Crows Town Moderator

Offline yidosengland

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »
another thread ends up like a rant from the Grumpy Old Men

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »
One note about the minidisc recorders is that almost all of them record only in lossy modes.  Only the HiMD recorders are capable of CD-quality recording, if that matters.

Offline yidosengland

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »
Quote from: philjw;32131
One note about the minidisc recorders is that almost all of them record only in lossy modes.  Only the HiMD recorders are capable of CD-quality recording, if that matters.

i thought the Sony recorders were lossless unless you used the lp setting ! in that case theres must be hell of a lot of lossless shows on this site as many are recorded using MD recorders .

Offline kevtic

• Meep meep
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
Mine are done in LP2 mode so i don't have to change discs halfway through which would be a nightmare.  I don't think it makes that much difference tbh.  The fact that you're recording on the sly means you're already compromising quality.

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 05:03:36 PM »
Quote from: yidosengland;32138
i thought the Sony recorders were lossless unless you used the lp setting ! in that case theres must be hell of a lot of lossless shows on this site as many are recorded using MD recorders .

I have actually pointed this out numerous times as it seems ridiculous to me that some recordings cannot be shared here even though they are first generation MD recordings while at the same time we have MD stuff all over the tracker.  The fact is, ONLY the HiMD recorders (and only Sony made them) can store CD quality audio, and only on the HiMD minidiscs.  All of the other MD recorders, Sony or not, use lossy ATRAC compression, and its just a matter of degree.  Even with the HiMD, it's only when you record in linear PCM mode that you get a lossless recording.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-MD

Offline ossobear

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 11:52:49 PM »
I use the Sony MZ-NH707 This seems to work out just fine.
Crows Town Moderator

Offline yidosengland

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »
Quote from: ossobear;32224
I use the Sony MZ-NH707 This seems to work out just fine.

do you record in LP or SP and change the discs ? and what mics do you use

having said that a 80min disc may just be long enough to get a Crows set on it SP these days

anything