Author Topic: Audio cassette - wav conversion question  (Read 2161 times)

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
Audio cassette - wav conversion question
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »
Have finally decided it was time to convert all my old cassette bootlegs to digital.

Can do the conversion easy enough so that I have long wav files (up to 45 mnutes in length), but can't seem to find how to put in the track markers and split the tracks to separate named files.

I've hunted through Audacity and Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (v3).
Either I'm blind (a distinct possibility) or I need a different package for this.

I used an old version of Foobar2000 for doing this a few years ago, but that resides on a dead laptop. I downloaded a new version today, but it's all changed and i couldn't find what I was after there either.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Of course, I should really just be PM'ing Andy as he's the new computer god here, but he's probably busy mixing the next show!

Cheers guys.....

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
use wave splitter its freeware and dead easy to use , especially for the technically gifted like you .

it plays the long wav file ( you can fast forward with it ) then split and save then start the next track from where the last one ended .
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:33:22 PM by yidosengland »
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
and just because the sun is out :

http://claudiosoft.online.fr/wavsplit.html

any problems just ask the expert
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »
And the young lad says - what's a cassette? How do you download one of those? :)

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »
The first two answers deserve thanks...the latter shall be treated with contempt!!

Will have a play with those at the first opportunity Andy, cheers.

Offline Javi

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
I am surprised that you could not find how to edit files in Audacity. Anyway here is a tutorial on how to edit long files.

Transferring tapes and records to computer or CD

Splitting recordings into separate tracks

Cutting up long Tracks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:28:24 PM by Javi »
Javier
Crows Town Moderator

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
In magix audio lab v3 just press the m key that gives you the track marker
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 07:13:41 PM »
good lord i have so many bootleg cassettes and I have no idea why I'm saving them. I haven't listened to them in at least 15 years but I can't bring myself to throw them away. If I started a project like this my wife and daughter would both shoot me.

Offline cfmwh

• Six for Gold
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »
Javi and Graham.....thanks......thought there must be something I was missing (no manual and the online help doesn't work for Magix).

Jim....once you've been shot, you'll have a long recovery period during which you could convert your old tapes!

Offline Graham

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 11:32:08 AM »
Its something I've been meaning to do for years, haven't got that many a few radio broadcasts from the In Concert series and some soundboards from JB's when I worked there unfortunately the bands I did tape remained unknown apart from Steve Gibbons, a show I have converted and seeded on dime a couple of years ago.

I do kick myself regularly about the ones I could have easily taped and didn't the likes of Dr John, The Long Ryders, Asia, Flaco Jimenez & Pete Rowan, Ruby Turner, Brian Auger the list is endless :sad:

Luckily I didn't see U2 when they played there because would be lynched for not taping that show :rolleyes:

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »
Graham once again showing his good taste... this time as a Long Ryders fan

Offline Graham

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 08:49:37 AM »
Quote from: tigger165;33873
Graham once again showing his good taste... this time as a Long Ryders fan

It was more luck than judgement in seeing these bands, working at the club, 8 to 10 bands a week over a 7 year period most were mediocre or worse, then again you got the odd jewel and for sure The Long Ryders were one of them It was for their first album Native Sons, they were great and really great guys too.

Another 2 jewels I failed to mention in my original post, Dr Feelgood & the late great Stevie Marriott with whom I've eaten at the same table (good times):D

Offline allmyfriends77

• Two for Mirth
  • "Such a life, Such a life...."
    • http://db.etree.org/allmyfriends25
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:04:09 AM »
Quote from: tigger165;33850
good lord i have so many bootleg cassettes and I have no idea why I'm saving them. I haven't listened to them in at least 15 years but I can't bring myself to throw them away. If I started a project like this my wife and daughter would both shoot me.

Minus the daughter, my wife would agree with your statement. I too have and I'm counting here.....12 black cassette plastic boxes, you know those long hard plastic one's (hahaha...that's what she said) that held like 12 tapes in them.

I am pretty sure all of my tapes have been transferred to cd by now. Has to be. Wait....did that show from Oklahoma City ever get transferred with a Good Luck on it? It was like one of a few live recordings of that song. I don't think the quality was so hot, but still a collectors rarity.
"that is why i put on the guitars and take that breath and before ever song, quietly say to myself, “this is a gift for others- let go- imagine you are in the nose-bleeds- sing for them- give everything” - Ryan Adams

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 04:11:26 AM »
That Oklahoma City show definitely got transferred. I think it may be on the site - pretty sure I got it from Bootcity a while back.