Author Topic: An interesting trading idea  (Read 11221 times)

Offline Vetrianno

• One for Sorrow
An interesting trading idea
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »
There's plenty of music players now that play .flac files).[/quote]

Wow, really, could you point me in the right direction, pretty please... :rolleyes:

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 12:27:16 AM »
I have a Cowon iAudio X5. I think some other Cowon players also play FLAC. I know there's others out there but haven't been looking too hard.

Also, there's an open source firmware program for portable music players called Rockbox that I haven't tried yet.

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
for years i've had external hard drives and i'm a big fan of them...however i just had two external hd's recently bite it. one was able to have the info recovered at the local shop. the other one may not fare so well. while these instances are rare - it's killing me over the amount of crows stuff i will have lost if the data can't be recovered on the one hd.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »
Been thinking about what the structure might be for this. Optimally, we'd start with someone who has a pretty complete collection. The group seems to fall into three main clusters - the Dutch, the Brits, and the Americans (who are clustered mostly on the east coast, with some of y'all in the midwest). So if three people sent the original person a hard drive, and we had one in each region, that person could spread around their region (saving us all on shipping). Conceivably, if we wanted to be really ordered, we could do a vine (or more accurately three vines, one for each area).

Also, if end up doing this, I promise I'll produce a complete history of the Mercury "Love and Addiction" alt. :)

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 11:24:03 PM »
Unfortunately most of my collection is on cd-r - so I don't know how complete mine is - unless I rip everything to my new external. Then I would have to see if my external that bit it can be saved because that one had a boatload of stuff on it. If this comes to fruition count me in as one of those east coast Americans.

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
I'd be up for this as well (another East Coast American) and had even suggested something like this a while back, albeit to limited response.  I have most of the available lossless Crows stuff, but not a lot of the circulating lossy-only shows.  I also have an enormous U2 collection.  I really have to do some organization before I start trading on any massive scale, however, as my files are currently a bit of a disaster and also spread over multiple hard drives and backup discs.

In any case, I would advise anyone contemplating this to backup anything sent through the mail as hard drives do fail! (hope your's is ok, Jim!)  I always try to keep all of my data saved in at least two locations, be it a CD/DVD and HD, two HDs, etc. even if they're just sitting at home.  The mail handling process adds another level of risk.  Also, some hard drives are designed to be "portable" and are usually smaller.  I'd think that with some good packaging, they'd survive several shipments without a problem.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 01:19:25 AM »
Re: size of HDs - took a look at the Western Digital Passport today, and that thing is tiny. Would cost as much to ship as a stack of CDs.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
Re: An interesting trading idea
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 01:55:22 AM »
Bumping this old post because I still think this would be a good idea. Shit, I'd buy the hard drive if someone with a complete and organized collection would populate it.

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:23 AM »
I'd also happily contribute to the cost of a hard drive. I've never gone down the path of digitalising my entire CC collection, seems like a lot of work to start from scratch.
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping that someone has one that's mostly digitized and well-organized. If not, a few of us could put in some work, using Simon's spreadsheet, to organize our collections and get a complete one. I actually think I have a pretty good percentage of the stuff, and most of my collection is digitized, it's just scattered on hard drives and not organized.

I had talked over PM about this idea with Bob (OssoBear) a while ago, but he hasn't been around much as of late.

Offline philjw

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 04:58:46 AM »
I haven't been around much lately, but this sounds like a good idea.  My collection is not complete, but it is relatively organized, and includes almost all of the lossless stuff in common circulation (I think).  I'd have to re-rip some DVDs, but all of the music is in flac/shn.  I'd be happy to help in this effort, particularly, if others could fill the holes for me ;) 

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
Okay, maybe we should pull up Simon's spreadsheet and start seeing where we're at and what holes we have.

Offline philjw

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 06:18:44 AM »
I used to have a version of Simon's spreadsheet that I turned into a checklist to track my collection, but I can't seem to find it right now.  Will look harder for it sometime this week.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
I did, too. Think it's on an old laptop. I think it was current through... 2009 or so? Whatever year Simon stopped updating it.

Offline philjw

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
Found my spreadsheet!  Bad news is that it likely makes sense only to me and it hasn't been updated since 2009 or so.  That said, I think I can clean it up, which is actually a good opportunity to check it against my hard drive archives anyway. I'm pretty busy these days, but I'm going to try to get through this in the next few weeks.  Then I'll share a list of what I have and what I believe I'm missing.

anything