Author Topic: 06.26.09 - Summerfest Milwaukee, WI  (Read 851 times)

Offline john52il

06.26.09 - Summerfest Milwaukee, WI
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »
Counting Crows
Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI
Incomplete audience recording
Recorded from 9th row left side of stage

Zoom H4 w/Audio Technica Mics > iTunes > xACT > flac > you

1. Hard Candy (cuts in)
2. Daylight Fading
3. Mr. Jones
4. Goodnight Elisabeth
5. Richard Manuel is Dead (very false start)
6. Richard Manuel is Dead (inc.)
7. Rain King (with Goodnight Elisabeth alt)
8. Washington Square (missing, not recorded)
9. Return of the Grievous Angel (Gram Parsons) (missing, not recorded)
10. A Long December (missing, not recorded)
11. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Bob Dylan) (missing, not recorded)

Adam was singing an entirely different song when they began "Richard Manuel".  Could it be a new alt?  Anyway, it didn't seem to jive with the music and he didn't seem to like the way it worked (or didn't work) so they stopped and started over.

This was a phenomenal set for such a short show (10 songs total).
Unfortunately, I had battery issues from the start (and some amazing luck).
I turned on my recorder and it said the battery power was too low to record.  I tried turning it on and off because I have had issues with this before, but it was not going to work.  Then I looked to my right, on the ground under the empty seat next to me was an Energizer battery.  So I said to myself, might as well try it.  I put it in and the power problem seemed to be resolved.  The show had already begun, but I was happy to be able to record it.  Throughout the show I was checking to be sure it was still recording and I was happy to see the power and record lights on the whole time.  When I got home and put the recording on my MacBook, I found only about five songs.  Here they are.

Recorded by John Lyman
john52il@yahoo.com
I need a raincoat \'cause I am the Rain King.

Offline john52il

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »
I wanted to get this up as soon as I could.  I can only seed for an hour because I'm going to the Chicago show at 10 a.m.  Since it's incomplete, it's a small file, hopefully someone can snatch it before I leave.  IMO the recording quality is 8/10.  It's definitely the best Crows recording I've made/shared.

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »
Thanks for all you effort John, hope you have better luck and enjoy the Chicago gig
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline john52il

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »
Maybe I'm assuming a lot, but sullen said he's going today so I imagine he's recording.  So, I'm not going to, his worst recordings are better than my best.

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 06:05:25 PM »
many thanks for this cheers Dave

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 06:17:02 PM »
Hey, at least you got Elisabeth and Rain King.

Thanks John.

Offline allmyfriends77

• Two for Mirth
  • "Such a life, Such a life...."
    • http://db.etree.org/allmyfriends25
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »
Thank you very much for recording this. I too thought it was a really good short show with that setlist. The intro to Richard Manuel left me scratching my head. That was a completely different song that did NOT go with what the band was playing. I was watching everyone and they just kinda all looked at each other wondering what was going on. They just kept playing Richard Manuel and Adam was singing something totally different. I would LOVE to know what the name of that song was or what alt. lyrics that might of been. Interesting.
"that is why i put on the guitars and take that breath and before ever song, quietly say to myself, “this is a gift for others- let go- imagine you are in the nose-bleeds- sing for them- give everything” - Ryan Adams

Offline allmyfriends77

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 01:00:36 AM »
Ok...this has been bothering me, but where is "this is just another song about the rain" from? He sang it in two songs last night. I know I've heard it before and I wanna say it is a cracker song? Didn't we just hear this on that 1994 official live release?

Someone please correct me here.
"that is why i put on the guitars and take that breath and before ever song, quietly say to myself, “this is a gift for others- let go- imagine you are in the nose-bleeds- sing for them- give everything” - Ryan Adams

Offline john52il

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 04:27:25 AM »
Cracker definitely has a song in which they say "another song about the rain".  Makes sense to me that that's what he's singing, good "ear"!

Offline allmyfriends77

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »

You can find some pics from this matchup at Summerfest from last night on flickr. I didn't take too many of CC, why? I don't know. I just wanted to enjoy the music and not be one of those people.

Here is the rest (even some Keith Urban pics...which I didn't take by the way and you'll know why when you see them)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39903663@N03/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:22:15 AM by allmyfriends77 »

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
There is a Cracker song called "Another Song About The Rain" and David doesnt sing it I think Johnny does..
I have no idea how to get torrents and stuff so does anybody make out what the intro to Richard Manuel is?

Offline ossobear

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:52:31 PM »
Thanks john ;)
Crows Town Moderator

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »
Not sure if you upgraded equipment or are just improving, John, but this one sounds better than your previous recordings. Nice work.

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 06:08:30 AM »
Thanks, John!  I've had my "torrent" computer down for a while and am now starting to grab the new stuff...

anything