Author Topic: ISP troubles  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
ISP troubles
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:01:46 AM »
So, after a week of intermittent problems with my, service i now have no ADSL connection at all. unfortunately this means i've had to stop all my uploads and downloas (obviously) until i get the issue resolved.

my ISP (dodo) has been terrible the last few months. I only have a very slow (1.5mbps) connection but i rarely get connected at that speed, if ever. usually, i am getting betweek 400 - 800kbps which is terrible. after speakign with my ISP, they give me the same old line that they see anytthing above 10% os the advertised maximum speed as acceptable. What a load of shit.

So today, i rang them again to try and resolve the connection issues and they took me through all the same bullshit troubleshooting as per usual. nothing worked. they eventually told me, without any further infomation, that I needed a new modem (granted, i've had the same modem for around 4 years now). why would i buy a new  modem to help me provdide a substandard service? I wouldn't.

So, i contacted what is now my new ISP (TPG) and signed up to naked ADSL2+. basically, they guarantee speeds above 6mbps and tell me that over 80% of customers in my area are averaging 20+mbps speeds. this also means i can now get rid of my home phone ($30 a month) and I will get a faster service, with more included data, for a cheaper price per month. I will get my modem delivered this week (it's saturday as I write this so prob won't get it till Wednesday) and should be up and running by a few days after xmas.

I'm just so sick of the substandard shit i've been getting from my ISP. I cannot believe i've stuck it out for so long. and simon, hopefully now this means i'll have better speeds when connecting to you!!!!!!

merry xmas everyone

Offline ossobear

• Global Moderator
ISP troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
This is Pretty much the same level of BS I got off my old ISP, I was with them for about 4 ish years also, they to told me I would never be able to get anything over 6meg, and it wasn't available in my area blah blah blah, also they cap speeds between 6 and 11 at night to 512, at times I was getting far less than that.

Ive now flipped over to my new ISP [O2] and I get 20-26 meg depending on the Time but I get Uploads of 1.3meg so that makes me a happy bunny. Hope you get better Internet and service from now on.

I'll leave everything seed while your off line so you can pick it up when you're back on-line.
Crows Town Moderator

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
ISP troubles
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
i'm just fed up with how terrible my connection has been. also, don't even try ringing tech support. you get the same old work arounds and trouble shooting no matter how often you have already done them. even now, i am typing this fro mmy iphone because my connection is still being unreliable and crappy. i'm over it. i'm totally over it.

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
ISP troubles
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »
Well Rob at least you've been getting a connection, after 5 days last week without a connnection, having supposely got it fixed it lasted 1 and half days before I lost it again.
Trying to get an engineer out to get it fixed has been a nightmare originally the earliest was going to be tomorrow, which they cancelled because a problem had been reported in the area which they had fixed, unfortunately my internet was still off, When I rang them last night I was told it would be Wednesday, I asked to talk to the supervisor by the time I had finished talking with him the earliest I could get an engineer was going to be Thursday. Miraculously this morning having rang up my ISP Virgin Media to cancel everything I have with them (Internet, Cable TV, Phone) they found an engineer to come out today.
...And My Minds In A State!