Author Topic: Attention Everyone!!  (Read 18232 times)

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Attention Everyone!!
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:26:41 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately today I received an email that the persons who provide us with the server to host Crows Town will no longer provide us with the server due to lack of resources to continue running the servers and other personal stuff with work and all that. I have been friends with these people since 2003 and will surely miss them. They will be bringing the servers offline on April 1.

Now, I don't have the time myself to continue running Crows Town. I don't visit much any more because my life has change a lot since my son was born, and also a few months ago he started Kinder School. In May we are expecting a baby girl so this will worsen the situation for me here at Crows Town. I just don't have the time, motivation and effort as before to keep this site going.

So, if anyone wants to keep this site running they must find a server to host it and move it before April 1st. Travis offered help to those who want to move it to another server so they can contact him here: travis@walms.com

I hope some one can keep this site going!

Regards

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 06:11:36 AM »
Oh my.

Can someone explain to me what moving to another server etc actually means? Who will be hosting the other WALMS sites? Is it just a $ issue, or are there other factors. Excuse my ignorence here.

No matter what Simon, I would like to offer my thanks to you, and Travis, for your efforts here. This community was here before a tracker existed, and it will remain. This site has been a big part of strengthening the community.

Is a fall back option to just start a private tracker, at least to ensure the shows are still beign shared?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:17:02 AM by acwk »
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 06:29:19 AM »
Yeah, if someone who knows a bit more about this could take the lead, I'd love to pitch in and help in whatever way I can (money, organization, etc.).

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 07:54:10 AM »
It isn't an issue of money. Travis is travelling a lot and very busy with work. He doesn't have the time any more. Hal the same. Tape city already had another owner for several months now but were still on Travis server. For me is that I just don't have the time and motivation any more. I think that we have gave the CC community a lot in the past years and now it is time to move on to other people who have the motivation, time and dedication for this site.

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »
I have to echo everything Rob has said, specially the thanks to you Simon for all you did to get this site up & running and his dedication in the running of the site over the last 5 years. Unfortunately I'm a dummy when it comes to computering things etc and unsure exactly what is needed to keep this site up although am willing to help in anyway I can.

At this moment I'm under a redundancy notice at work as my boss is trying to sell the business, so not sure exactly what help I can give, but maybe if we can set a new provisional adminstration team together we can sort something out with Travis.
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline Etkar

• Guitar Hero wannabe
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
wow, that would suck!
But we all have to realise that this thing costs a lot of time and effort.

If all goes away, then Thnx Simon, Hal and Travis for ur dedication!!!!
ed

Keep ur head cool and ur feet warm.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
I hope there will be a solution,it would be very sad to see such a great site go.I sure would miss it a lot.
Simon i will always be grateful for everything you have done for this place and the CC community and me personally but i do understand your priorities change.Also big thanks to Travis and Hal of course.

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
The thing is that some one has to take things in their own hands.... Basically grab the site by it's balls and do something about it. I'm very sad about all this BUT i just can't do it any more. So who ever wants to do something just write an email to Travis: travis@walms.com

There is only a month left and these things take some time to set up.

@ Rob... why don't you ask at the official maybe some admin wants to keep it going? My dream here was always that this site gets integrated with the official.

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
well i posted over at the official asking for help to save CROWSTOWN i hope nobody minds but many people have benefited from the hard work of tapers and the kind souls who share the recordings and have run this site over the years , lets hope that somebody with the time and dedication reads my post or even Simons dream of both sites becoming intergrated can happen in the short time span .

could somebody with twitter ask Adam for help ? desperate times
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:49:23 AM by yidosengland »
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »
Yeah. This site should be connected to the official in some way. It's kind of like the other trading site they used to have but this is all free. I'd try contacting the mods/admins by email and see if they're interested.

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »
the good folk of cc.com are aware of what's happening over here
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12

Offline john52il

Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »
Shocking news!  So, for those of us who are a little slow to grasp the situation, is this a correct summary of the situation?

There is no money issue here, it is entirely a time/effort matter.  Someone with advanced (?) computer knowledge needs to step up and transfer the site to another server and then maintain it after that?  

Can anyone give a rough estimate of how much time this would require?  And how many people are in charge right now?
I need a raincoat \'cause I am the Rain King.

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:23 PM »
Quote from: john52il;37758
Shocking news!  So, for those of us who are a little slow to grasp the situation, is this a correct summary of the situation?

There is no money issue here, it is entirely a time/effort matter.  Someone with advanced (?) computer knowledge needs to step up and transfer the site to another server and then maintain it after that?  

Can anyone give a rough estimate of how much time this would require?  And how many people are in charge right now?

Well, money issue isn't the case but for those who don't have the motivation any more it isn't worth paying for the servers, v bulletin licences etc.

Travis, Hal, myself and Christine are in charge of Crows Town. Basically Travis is who provided us with all the servers, Hal was kind of the tech and guru behind the sites who did all the magics, Christine is an Admin and designer of Crows Town. As for me, well everyone knows. I was the one who wanted and started crows town. This happened in the old days of Boot City and before that as well.

Basically what is needed is someone who knows V Bulletin and can handle servers issues, trackers and so on. But motivation, time and effort goes with it. The best option there is for this site to keep going is that the official takes it, feed it and maintain it.

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »
I hope someone will pick up the site, it's too good to die. If not it was great while it lasted, thanks to Simon and the others for keeping it going this long.
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline Vetrianno

• One for Sorrow
Attention Everyone!!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »
I don't know quite what to say... losing this would be a huge loss to a very many individuals, the Counting Crows community as a whole and to Counting Crows the band too I believe... I came in late, only having been around about 18 months or so but during that time, the enjoyment that I have both had and shared in has been immeasurable!.

I can't thank the people involved enough, and thats not a understatment either. I wish everyone who moves on the very best. That said, this thing of ours is too good to let go if it can be maintained... I  am all for integreation with the official site IF NEED BE.

Adam and the boys seem to recognise the need for a presence beyond the scope/role of the traditional record company set up, they HAVE THAT PRESENCE in Crowstown which very effectively keeps them right in peoples vision audiably and visually literally on a daily basis.

I would urge members of Crowstown to take up the subject over on the Official site and lets see what support we get. After all, we all have Counting Crows in our blood, otherwise we wouldn't be here!. I am just off away walking for the wekend and I will look interestedly at the thread on my return.