Poll

Should we consolidate some of the forum boards?

es
15 (68.2%)
o
1 (4.5%)
ot sure, it depends on the details (discuss below)
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Community Discussion #1: Should we consolidate some boards?  (Read 3503 times)

Offline JavaJones

• One for Sorrow
  • Administrator
Please read this thread first to get an idea of the origin of this thread:
http://www.crows-town.com/showthread.php?t=4108

What I'd like to discuss here is the number of different forum board area we have here, and whether it's useful to maintain them all at this point. The question came up for me for a number of reasons.

I know just historically from my experience moderating a number of other fairly large and active forums that it is generally best to avoid a lot of fragmentation. For those trying to keep up on the forums it's more convenient to check fewer areas, it makes it easier and quicker to post and participate, and it is especially helpful with smaller and/or less active forums because it avoids diluting what posting there actually is by not spreading it among many different areas where it's less visible. It gives the impression of greater activity basically (which is a good thing for newcomers especially).

I also noticed that a lot of the areas here get very little activity. Some get a post a week or every few weeks, some even less than that. A few haven't been posted in since 2009. Some have less than 10 posts *ever*.

Another problem this creates is simply an aesthetic and usability one. Right now you have to scroll way down on the forum page to see everything. It seems unnecessary.

Many of the boards we have here would be considered "off topic". There's nothing wrong with that of course, and if we want to foster a long-term community we need to feel comfortable discussing things other than Counting Crows. After all there's only so much we can talk about there! Hehe. Still, at present I count 13 boards of this type, with a lot of fine-grained segmentation, while there are 10 "on topic" (Counting Crows) boards and 5 additional "utility" type boards (site news, etc.). Not that strict numbers are the only thing that matters, but it does seem potentially imbalanced.

So my question is, how do you all feel about consolidating some of these forum boards? Would it really be a problem to have just 1, 2, or even 3 "off topic" or "general" boards where anything and everything (that is not CC or trading or site related) could be discussed? Do we need "whacky news", "facts of life", "odds and ends", and more? Why not just "Fun and Games"? Same with "Everything Else Chat". I could see this being taken care of by 1 or 2 boards. "Sports Chat" gets a post every 2-6 months, for example, and could easily be talked about effectively in amongst books, movies, and a lot of other stuff.

Fortunately nothing would be lost if we were to do this. We can merge boards and maintain all the prior topics. They'd get all mixed together, but I don't really see that as a big problem.

I don't have a particular arrangement or consolidation plan in mind. I could easily come up with a suggested strategy for what boards I think could be combined, but I thought we could start with discussing whether people thought it was even worth consideration. If so, then we can figure out what boards could be best combined.

Feel free to vote in the attached poll if you'd like. Not a requirement though, I'd sooner see feedback in a post than only in the poll. :)

Looking forward to your thoughts.

- Oshyan

Offline Tim77

• How does this work?
Community Discussion #1: Should we consolidate some boards?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:54 AM »
I voted yes. Perfect example. I read this thread then went to check the forum index just to see how many subforums there were. Then I didn't know what forum this post was in so I had to look around a bit. When you first sign in and it takes you to the Recent Threads page, assuming most people are like me, I just click on the ones I am interested in, I don't look at the forum column beforehand to see where they are. It should be obvious by their content where they are but with some many sections one can easily have a problem finding posts.

Also I think a lot of these subtopics could be handled with sticky threads placed in a wider topic section. There are admittedly a lot of sticky threads already but IMO a lot of those aren't really necessary either. Really I think whats needed is the torrent section, a general cc section, an other musicians section, an off topic section, and a help section

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:07:17 AM »
I don't have a problem with the board because i'm used to it but for new members it must be a bit overwhelming where to post what or where to ask a question they have.
I also agree that the off topic forums seem to be a bit much. The CC related ones are many too but i have to say i always found it a benefit.Whenever i'm looking for info or an old thread or post it's easily found because of the different sections.But we could use subforums or stickies for that.So i vote yes.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
Yeah, less is probably more, particularly with the off-topic forums.

Offline Nicolas

• The Law Is Back In Town
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:50:08 AM »
agree on this too.

Offline Javi

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:51:25 AM »
I agree we can consolidate some of the forums. I say keep the downloads section the same. Some people just want to download videos and others audio. We have never had a problem in that section. In Counting Crows chat, combine Tour and Press Articles & Reviews into Counting Crows. Tabs & Instruments could be a sub-forum, if needed. Nicholas, I know you were working on the Tab section. Move the Live Compilation Project into the Counting Crows Chat since that is the more appropriate section.

The Jokes, Fun & Games section could all be moved into the Lounge forum. Books & Literature, Music, Lyrical & Poetry, Sports & Movies could also be moved into the Lounge forum. That would remove 13 sections and make the board more easier to manage.
Javier
Crows Town Moderator

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
I'm very much against this. I think this is a degrading of the community side of this place. Dumping everything else into the "lounge" is a bad idea in my opinion. Maybe you could stick some categories into some bigger ones. (music, books, film, poetry in an art section for example, and the crazy news, pictures, games etc in an entertainment section).

But to dump everything into the lounge is a very bad idea I think. That place should be for talk, and a place where people can post about things that are on their mind, a more social part of the site.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:20:12 AM by flips »
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline Nicolas

• The Law Is Back In Town
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
Quote from: flips;38339
I'm very much against this. I think this is a degrading of the community side of this place. Dumping everything else into the "lounge" is a bad idea in my opinion. Maybe you could stick some categories into some bigger ones. (music, books, film, poetry in an art section for example, and the crazy news, pictures, games etc in an entertainment section).

But to dump everything into the lounge is a very bad idea I think. That place should be for talk, and a place where people can post about things that are on their mind, a more social part of the site.

Maybe it can be arranged in sub-forums; the lounge being the main section listing every thread, while arranging them in different sub categories, as you said.

Offline ossobear

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »
I'd say yes to most of the the off-topic forums..
Crows Town Moderator

Offline JavaJones

• One for Sorrow
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:16:33 AM »
Just because there isn't a category for something doesn't mean that subject if off-limits. Having a more general "Lounge" area could even be less limiting in a way (arguable). I certainly don't think it would/should be more limiting, at least.

I've got a busy week so I probably won't get to rearranging things right away. But it looks like the community is generally in favor of this, so I'll work on it as soon as I can (a  week or two).

- Oshyan

Offline Graham

• Age Is A State Of Mind...
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:47 AM »
I have to tend to side with Flips view on this, there is nothing wrong with maybe lumping a few forums together like what Flips mentioned in her post, Although I think certain things do need to be tidied up like the actual deletion of older threads especially in the torrents sections, Until big Bob returned (wb Bob) we had a music sharing site with some 300+ torrents listed and only a handful actually active mainly thanks to Judith reseeding a few shows. Even now with Bob opening a lot of older torrents the peer listing still shows up the members who were seeding the shows when the site closed which is misleading for anyone who wants to pick up a show.

I should be able to cover every torrent seeded here although as the vast majority of shows pre 2006 I had already had via other sites & trades so actual files/texts possibly wont match with the shows originally posted here.

Within the next few weeks or so I will have plenty of time on my hands due to my  imminent redundancy so will be able to spend more time on site and Im willing to help with any changes also I can set up a "bootleg archive" and will fill any show requested from the archive.
...And My Minds In A State!

Offline Judith

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:48:57 AM »
Quote from: Graham;38388
I have to tend to side with Flips view on this, there is nothing wrong with maybe lumping a few forums together like what Flips mentioned in her post, Although I think certain things do need to be tidied up like the actual deletion of older threads especially in the torrents sections, Until big Bob returned (wb Bob) we had a music sharing site with some 300+ torrents listed and only a handful actually active mainly thanks to Judith reseeding a few shows. Even now with Bob opening a lot of older torrents the peer listing still shows up the members who were seeding the shows when the site closed which is misleading for anyone who wants to pick up a show.

I should be able to cover every torrent seeded here although as the vast majority of shows pre 2006 I had already had via other sites & trades so actual files/texts possibly wont match with the shows originally posted here.

Within the next few weeks or so I will have plenty of time on my hands due to my  imminent redundancy so will be able to spend more time on site and Im willing to help with any changes also I can set up a "bootleg archive" and will fill any show requested from the archive.

I agree with you Graham about deletion of older threads in the torrents section, it is confusing with it showing the seeders and peers who were seeding the shows when the site closed. It was one of the reasons I opened new threads for the ones I was seeding, so it was easier for people to see what was being seeded.

I have time on my hands too, so happy to help with anything.

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »
I agree that the way it is now there's way too many forum topics. But I really don't see why you can't have a couple of off topic ones for those of us that enjoy and use these. If it's so difficult to navigate for you, just move the off topic section to the bottom and those of us that like talking about books and post links to funny news stories, and silly pictures will scroll down the page so you don't have to.
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline Judith

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:11 AM »
Quote from: flips;38391
I agree that the way it is now there's way too many forum topics. But I really don't see why you can't have a couple of off topic ones for those of us that enjoy and use these. If it's so difficult to navigate for you, just move the off topic section to the bottom and those of us that like talking about books and post links to funny news stories, and silly pictures will scroll down the page so you don't have to.

I like the off topic sections too Flips. Also having those meaning that other sections don't end up off topic.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »
Even though we are trying to have less forums,is it still possible to get the shoutbox back ?

anything