Author Topic: A new platform for Crows Town - members please read!  (Read 4917 times)

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
A new platform for Crows Town - members please read!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
So when can we expect the new site to be launched? Will there be down time while you switch over?

Offline JavaJones

• One for Sorrow
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 05:31:24 AM »
I will take care of it very soon, within the next few days (possibly even tonight). There will be minimal down time. The initial implementation will be simple, a direct transfer. Over time I still intend to merge forum sections as things are in my opinion far too scattered. I will also work on the template a little as time allows.

- Oshyan

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 11:50:46 PM »
Cool, Sounds good.

Offline BabyImABigStarNow

Re: A new platform for Crows Town - members please read!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
Thank you for opening up registration! I've been waiting for years to join. I've been lurking around as a guest and finally I'm able to post! :)

Offline JavaJones

• One for Sorrow
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
Glad you stuck around! There are quite a lot of people who have wanted to register over the past year or two and I'm about to email them all to let them know we're back in business. Hopefully we'll get a nice influx of new users.

Note that the torrent tracker is not currently available, but I do hope to get that going soon as well.

- Oshyan

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »
I am so glad that finally this site is getting renovated. From time to time I still lurk in here but that is much it. I am having a third son soon and life is really on the fast lane here.

I have done everything I could possibly to keep this site and my main focus was always to get the tracker back running and I was in contact daily with this person. He always says he would fix it but then again nothing happens. This pissed me off BIG TIME and decided to step down for good. The main focus of Crows Town was always the tracker and I really and really hope that finally the long wait is paid off and finally we are given back the tracker. I also am very happy to see that old friends and faces are still here and this means the strong friendship and bond we had together. This community for me meant a lot and still does but life goes on. If the tracker is back then I would be willing to seed back the shows for those who came in late or just joined this community. As for the late comers, I was the person behind shutting registrations due to a lot of spam but honestly I have never received any emails cause I would have done something.

@Oshyan, I hope that you keep this going now and at the very least please try and get the tracker back on track... If you need me you can contact me at: cauchi_simon@hotmail.com

Regards

Simon

Offline newtonkevin

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
Simon, thanks for all your work in the past.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »
Simon congrats on having another baby,i can imagine your life is busy.Thanks again for everything you've done for this place and your generous offer to seed again if and when we will have a working tracker.

Offline JavaJones

• One for Sorrow
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:18 AM »
I'm not sure who you're referring to with having been in daily contact, but aside from early on in the 1st year of me hosting this site, nobody has really helped with anything. There was one person who was supposed to do some work to get the tracker going, I gave them root access to the server but nothing ever came of it. Nobody who could actually do anything ever stepped forward. I wish I had the expertise necessary to troubleshoot the tracker, but I don't; I did what I could. Simon, if you *do* have that knowledge let me know, I'd be glad to give you whatever access you need.

I understand the desire to have the tracker back, I really do. But it wasn't something I could make happen, and I did try. When I took over hosting of the site, I expressed that I could deal with the hosting needs, but had no particular vB or tracker expertise and would need help if there were any issues with those things. The consensus was that having any site was better than none, and the simple reality is the site either could have been completely gone the last 2 years, or existed in its limited capacity as it has. Hopefully you all agree that the site having continued at least in some form is a good thing.

Anyway, I've been trying to do what I can on the tracker more recently, since the hosting move. The sad reality is that there seem to be few tracker systems period, and even fewer that are active projects and well supported. Running one seems to be a bit of an advanced operation in that you need to be at least somewhat savvy with Linux and the commandline. I've gone into it as much as I could, even attempting to compile XBT from source, not to mention contacting my web host to see if they could help. Unfortunately at this point, until I can get someone with more expertise to help out, I can't get XBT going (and that's the one I identified as being the most viable and well supported).

There is one last option remaining, but I'm a bit hesitant to go with it. You can run a tracker in PHP rather than as a compiled application. This is more demanding of server resources however and they say once a tracker reaches, say, 10,000 clients, it's really unwise to keep using a PHP tracker for performance reasons. I realize that's a big number, one we're unlikely to reach here any time soon, but I want to be future-proof if possible (helping to avoid the kinds of problems that have plagued the site the last couple years). The trick is that it's difficult or impossible to transfer tracked torrents from one tracker to another, so if I decide to go with the PHP tracker (which I think I *can* get going myself as I have a lot of experience installing and administrating PHP-based apps like SMF, Joomla, etc.), that means that if we ever do run into resource/capacity issues and need to switch to a compiled XBT, everyone would have to re-download all torrents.

I'm still undecided on how big a risk this is, how likely it is that we will run into resource issues, etc. The problem is it's difficult to test it without a real-world load. I honestly have no idea how many people would end up on the tracker over time, and I'd hate to put something up and get everyone excited, only to have to take it down if it overran my server resources. Obviously I welcome all your feedback on this and I know that most people will probably be in favor of *any* tracker solution vs. none, but none of you are likely to fully understand the underlying issues either, I suspect. If anyone does have expertise they can lend to resolving these issues, please do speak up!

I'm optimistic that in time we'll have a solution.

- Oshyan

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
tracker or no tracker thanks for all your hard work , theres plenty of sites like megaupload to share shows and if people want lossless theres always the good old fashioned cd and postage trading
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »
I'm not sure who you're referring to with having been in daily contact, but aside from early on in the 1st year of me hosting this site, nobody has really helped with anything. There was one person who was supposed to do some work to get the tracker going, I gave them root access to the server but nothing ever came of it. Nobody who could actually do anything ever stepped forward. I wish I had the expertise necessary to troubleshoot the tracker, but I don't; I did what I could. Simon, if you *do* have that knowledge let me know, I'd be glad to give you whatever access you need.

I understand the desire to have the tracker back, I really do. But it wasn't something I could make happen, and I did try. When I took over hosting of the site, I expressed that I could deal with the hosting needs, but had no particular vB or tracker expertise and would need help if there were any issues with those things. The consensus was that having any site was better than none, and the simple reality is the site either could have been completely gone the last 2 years, or existed in its limited capacity as it has. Hopefully you all agree that the site having continued at least in some form is a good thing.

Anyway, I've been trying to do what I can on the tracker more recently, since the hosting move. The sad reality is that there seem to be few tracker systems period, and even fewer that are active projects and well supported. Running one seems to be a bit of an advanced operation in that you need to be at least somewhat savvy with Linux and the commandline. I've gone into it as much as I could, even attempting to compile XBT from source, not to mention contacting my web host to see if they could help. Unfortunately at this point, until I can get someone with more expertise to help out, I can't get XBT going (and that's the one I identified as being the most viable and well supported).

There is one last option remaining, but I'm a bit hesitant to go with it. You can run a tracker in PHP rather than as a compiled application. This is more demanding of server resources however and they say once a tracker reaches, say, 10,000 clients, it's really unwise to keep using a PHP tracker for performance reasons. I realize that's a big number, one we're unlikely to reach here any time soon, but I want to be future-proof if possible (helping to avoid the kinds of problems that have plagued the site the last couple years). The trick is that it's difficult or impossible to transfer tracked torrents from one tracker to another, so if I decide to go with the PHP tracker (which I think I *can* get going myself as I have a lot of experience installing and administrating PHP-based apps like SMF, Joomla, etc.), that means that if we ever do run into resource/capacity issues and need to switch to a compiled XBT, everyone would have to re-download all torrents.

I'm still undecided on how big a risk this is, how likely it is that we will run into resource issues, etc. The problem is it's difficult to test it without a real-world load. I honestly have no idea how many people would end up on the tracker over time, and I'd hate to put something up and get everyone excited, only to have to take it down if it overran my server resources. Obviously I welcome all your feedback on this and I know that most people will probably be in favor of *any* tracker solution vs. none, but none of you are likely to fully understand the underlying issues either, I suspect. If anyone does have expertise they can lend to resolving these issues, please do speak up!

I'm optimistic that in time we'll have a solution.

- Oshyan

Oshyan, I was not referring to you but to the person who was suppose to fix the tracker which is the same person who had the bootcity servers. I knew you didn't know about fixing the tracker so again I was not referring to you.

Please keep it going and thanks for all your work..

Regards

Simon

Offline JavaJones

• One for Sorrow
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to do what I can, and like I said I'm sure we'll work something out. It has already helped to be on SMF for the forums, and I still intend to do some organizing and cleanup. Maybe I'll just go ahead with the PHP tracker and cross the bridge of moving to a more robust one if and when we need to. I'll think about what would be best...

- Oshyan

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »
tracker or no tracker thanks for all your hard work , theres plenty of sites like megaupload to share shows and if people want lossless theres always the good old fashioned cd and postage trading

Ditto,i'm grateful for keeping this place in whatever form especially since there are not so many CC fansites left.I haven't found a good replacement for megaupload yet but there are other options or sites like etree.Since some people would really like a tracker it might be worth giving it a try i doubt it would reach 10.000 clients.