Author Topic: Guitar effect  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Afterthestorm

Guitar effect
« on: March 21, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
Hi guys.  My name is Cory.  I bought (yes bought, not downloaded) the Counting Crows Live and Town Hall DVD.  I've seen it completely through over 50 times and counting.  It is the top three concert performances of all time to me personally.  The other two are Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at El Mocambo and The Black Keys live BBC Sessions.  I still get choked up when I watch the Town Hall performance.  I never knew a concert could affect me so much.

I have a question.  I'm a guitar player and I wanted to know what guitar effects are being used during the little solo in Round Here right after Adam says "Hey Danno, I want to hear a little guitar."  It's such a full and commanding sound.  I would like to find that sound.  Thank you all so much.   Your music literally affects my life and makes it better.

Love from Canada.  :)

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
Re: Guitar effect
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
Welcome to CrowsTown! :)

In that little guitar lead, Dan is using a delay pedal.. it's what's making the notes repeat. Other than that, it doesn't sound like there are any other effects on it. I think Dan has really great tones in general. I asked him online about how he gets his "signature" (in my opinion) lead/distortion tones on solos like "Insignificant" and "Goodnight Elisabeth" and he told me a bit about his setup. I'll try and find what he said for you! To replacate those tones exactly you'd need some expensive vintage Fender amps ;) .. but you can probably come pretty close to the effect in "Round Here" if you play around with your amp's overdrive/distortion and with a delay pedal!

Hope that helped.. again, I'll try and find what he said.

Offline Afterthestorm

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »
Hi duritzfan13.  I appreciate the reply.  I look forward to you finding how Dan gets his sound.  I have a traynor YCV80Q 4x10.  It is the best sounding amp I've heard, though the distortion he gets is so clear.  I'm sure there is a lot of sound scrubbing through very expensive rig/rack effect systems, but if it's just delay and overdrive, then it's amazing out of the amp.  I use analog delay and compression for a lot of what I do.  But I would love to know what his gear is and how he takes such dramatic overdrive and distortion effects and keeps them 'clean and soft', not overbearing.  Just a high quality band all around.  I wish I could come even close to that talent and creativity. 

I hope you can find something on Dan and his gear.  Regardless, thanks again for saying hi and sharing the info.  Take care of yourself.

Offline Nicolas

• The Law Is Back In Town
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
This is the only thing I know:

Dan Vickrey-
Amps: 1959 tweed twin, 1960s Silvertone Twin Twelve. Effects: Bradshaw custom audio rack with 128 presets for amp/channel switching and effects looping. Pedals: 1960s NU wah/fuzz pedals (2), Zvex Fuzz Factory, Zvex Super Hard On, Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere, Electro Harmonix Micro Synthesizer, Danelectro delay, Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan, Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainor, Ibanez Tube Screamer, DOD Bi-Fet Amp. Guitars: 1955 Fender Esquire, 1991 Fender Telecaster Standard, 1999 Fender Telecaster Custom w/bender, 1972 Fender Telecaster, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1960s Eko 12-string, 1994 Santa Cruz OM acoustic, Deering 6-string banjo. In-ear monitor: Shure PSM 700. Vocal mic: Shure Beta 58A.

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »
Hi duritzfan13.  I appreciate the reply.  I look forward to you finding how Dan gets his sound.  I have a traynor YCV80Q 4x10.  It is the best sounding amp I've heard, though the distortion he gets is so clear.  I'm sure there is a lot of sound scrubbing through very expensive rig/rack effect systems, but if it's just delay and overdrive, then it's amazing out of the amp.  I use analog delay and compression for a lot of what I do.  But I would love to know what his gear is and how he takes such dramatic overdrive and distortion effects and keeps them 'clean and soft', not overbearing.  Just a high quality band all around.  I wish I could come even close to that talent and creativity. 

I hope you can find something on Dan and his gear.  Regardless, thanks again for saying hi and sharing the info.  Take care of yourself.

So I looked back and he only told me about "Insignificant" specifically.. but check this out.

http://ontheflipsidewithjess.blogspot.com/2012/02/recording-with-counting-crows-dan.html

Good interview with him and he really goes into his gear/setup!