Author Topic: The meaning of FLAC  (Read 693 times)

Offline john52il

The meaning of FLAC
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »
Hello all,
Recently I have found myself in disagreement with people who do not understand what a FLAC file is/does. I, correctly, assert that it is a way of compressing files, usually LOSSLESS files, so they can be sent digitally without losing their auditory integrity in any way, and then expanded back to full "strength" once received.  Others purport that FLAC is some type of audio file, like a WAV or an ALAC, which it is not. A FLAC is parallel to a ZIP, it is a compressed audio file, no more, no less.  Please vehemently agree or disagree with my opinion.
I need a raincoat \'cause I am the Rain King.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
Re: The meaning of FLAC
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »
This is how i see it but i don't consider myself an expert.
Flac is a compressed Wav file so it's LOSSLESS.Sometimes people convert MP3 to Flac to preserve soundquality but those are "fake"Flac files.
In the old days you had to convert Flac back to Wav before you could use it but nowadays you can listen and burn Flac without converting it first so i can see why some would consider it a type of audio file.

Offline john52il

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
Thanks dutchieblue, well said.

Offline Nicolas

• The Law Is Back In Town
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:14:07 PM »
Not sure if I follow. In what way are FLAC and ALAC completely different things? They are both compressed versions of a lossless original, and they are both audio formats. There's no difference between them other than one being a propietary format and the other one being open.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:34 PM »
I agree that FLAC and ALAC basicly do they same thing they compress lossless originals .WAV is an audio file format  Flac and Alac are audio coding formats so their purpose is/was compressing.

Offline john52il

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 05:34:38 AM »
Thanks folks!