Author Topic: I think I might be done.......  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
I think I might be done.......
« on: November 30, 2014, 04:57:56 AM »
So - I've been thinking. Actually, not so much thinking to be honest, more so trying to decide whether I trust this feeling that's come over me.

I think I might be done with collecting CC boots. Wondering if anyone else has gone through this same feeling. I'll try and articulate some of it.

It's weird. Last week I saw that the Crows were coming to Australia and my first and instinctive response was to NOT rush to buy a ticket (I've since bought a ticket). I still love the band and what they do, but something has changed. Firstly, I'm not really getting any joy out of collecting any more. The thrill is gone, largely, and I'm not so much a collector now as I am a completest. With the exception of the few of the LCC shows that were up before the new album was out, I haven't rushed to listen to a show. I haven't felt compelled to seek them out. And despite the bands nauseatingly deja-vu comments that they're "playing better than ever" (which no doubt is technically true), I don't feel like there's a spark to any of the recent recordings that I have listened to.   

The sad situation this site is in (despite the wonderful collection of people and the collective efforts of those sharing) continues to bug me. No tracker - still. No consolidated list of links to shows like we had last year. It's not a reason (and nor am I laying blame) for how I am feeling, but it's not helping. It seems that the same old people are making the huge effort to keep the site ticking along. I love the community, but it is frustrating. Collecting feels really difficult at crowstown. Please don't take that personally.

Again - not to lay blame at all - but the new album is clearly not a patch on old material in my opinion. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy it, it is a nice album. I sing along with it. I play the songs on my guitar. But I do not connect with it. and i am not one of those people who always pines for the old stuff. I am well aware the band will probably never replicate what they did on AAEA and RTS but I accepted that long long ago (and nor should they be expected to). I just don't think this album, in my opinion, is very good. Then, I feel the same about underwater sunshine, the same about most of SNSM (although I think it had some ball-tearing moments) and the same about most of hard candy. The band don't excite me like they used to. Is it the musicianship? I dunno. Is it the general direction of some of the more recent albums? Maybe. Is the quality of the song-writing below where it used to be - quality when you talk about art is ridiculous i guess but I would say that the songs being written now are so very different. things evolve - I know that. I guess I'm just not enjoying this evolution all that much. I guess I miss the edge this band used to have. I miss feeling connected.

Collecting bootlegs truly is a passion and I think I might have lost some of mine - perhaps temporarily, I don't know. I used to love hunting down the shows, having 10 or 15 torrents in my tracker, seeding the DVD's for everyone to share. It gave me a real buzz. I enjoyed, particularly being from Australia, being one of the bigger collectors who could share what he had with everyone else. I particularly enjoyed the advent of DVD trading through 2001-2004 - they were fun days. I liked being part of it all. Now - I'm just not that enthused. And I think the collective effort is almost gone - almost. There are a handful of people, most on this site, doing all the heavy lifting. But it is so disorganised now - there's a lot of luck to us all being able to access the TV performances, or the rare shows. I know that's nothing new, but in a sense, I think the trading community for this band is not what it once was. Again, maybe it's just me. I'm 33 years old, I don't have kids, and theoretically, I have plenty of time and $ to keep up this hobby. So why don't I feel like I want to?

What I do feel a degree of excitement about is the archiving project that we've been talking about sporadically, and I would be very happy to remain involved in any way I can. It seems to make a lot of sense that we - while we can - create a substantive digital archive of as many CC shows in video and audio as we possibly can. I see that as an exciting, challenging, and communally beneficial piece of work that I would be proud to be involved in. But again - that's largely the completest in me talking.

Randall's recent recordings are the first I have felt enthused about in some time. Weirdly though, for me it is about listening to something that someone (Randall in this example) has taken the time to record, to write his notes, to bring us that experience, to share. I connect more with the experience of Randall bringing us the shows, than I do with the shows themselves. Maybe that actually says a lot about why I'm feeling the way I do. I've never been a taper and maybe I should have been - maybe I'm just as guilty of not making an effort as anyone else. Maybe I, as a trader and collector, have contributed to the general malaise I'm actually describing. Or maybe it was those fucking travelling circus bootlegs......ha.

At this point in time, I genuinely feel like I might stop. And by the way - I'm not asking anyone to beg me not to! This is not an ego thing at all. I'm just in a weird space with it all and wondering if anyone else can relate to it.

Anyway - all comments are welcome. Interested in everyone's perspective.
Rob
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
Re: I think I might be done.......
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
i stopped collecting all the boots a long time ago , yes its great to get a gem of an audience recording but like others some of the soundboard recordings leave me cold mainly because they dont have the simple addition on an audience microphone , i have been to a few shows on the last tour with great audiences and crowd participation that simply cannot br heard on the soundboards
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
Thanks Rob for sharing your thoughts and your honesty.I can't say i'm surprised with so many of the old regulars gone i asume you are not alone in how you feel.
Personally i've never been a completist it was my intention to have a few shows of each tour with setlist that appeal to me but somehow it didn't work out that way.I wasn't able to do torrents for a long time so i was depending on what other fans were willing to share with me,i have to say the ones that did were very very generous in sharing with me.They are also the reason i want to pay it forward and help out others if i can.
Once i was able to download myself it was hard to resist a show,i only wanted to download it if i had the time to burn it and listen to it, for the most part i have.Also if you know someone made the effort to tape a show especially someone from this site you certainly want to listen to it.
There was a time when i listened to a lot of boots but the last couple of years not so much anymore.Not sure if it's me but it feels like the setlist are getting more stale than they used to be or i've just heard certain songs far to many times.
With the european shows from this tour finally for sale on LCC i wasn't expecting many audience recordings especially not from Amsterdam since there don't seem many dutch tapers left.So i was happy to see so many recordings show up but still haven't found the time to listen to all of them.

My love for the band has changed but i think that is inevitable.I'm not the same person i was when i fell in love with this band neither is the band we are all older, different stages in life,different states of mind.Even Adam seems in a better place.
I'm not a fan since the beginning,the first four albums are equally good and equally dear to me.After that things changed i felt it was almost impossible for Adam to write similar kind of songs and still make me believe them,but there were a few.He needed to make a change and with this new album he has.
For me it has always been lyrics/voice/music in that order that made me love this band.When the new album came out i was worried i wouldn't feel connected to it because of the different writing and for the most part i was right.However i loved it much more than i expected because of the music.Don't get me wrong many lyrics are great ,clever, brilliant even but i don't feel as connected to the songs as i did in the past.
With this new album its music/lyrics/voice i think.
When i went to shows last year and this year i wasn't really excited about it,not until we were finally on our way to the concert but i'm still really happy i went especially this year it really gave me a boost.Several of the new songs are actually fun live, not something i thought i would ever say about a CC song  ;)
When i love something or somebody i'm extremely loyal so i don't think i will ever stop bying their albums or going to shows.
All i can say is listen to your feeling if collecting doesn't give you joy anymore stop or take a break from it for a while.

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »
I was never a completist either, I usually try and find a show or two from each tour with a setlist that I love or a version of Rain King that I just "have" to get and leave it at that.

In the old days there seemed to be a lot more unpredictability in how a show turned out to be, all of a sudden there would be these amazing alts in several songs. I don't know if that will happen any more. I certainly don't hope Adam gets as troubled as he seemed back in the "old days", and I'm glad that he seems to be coping better now, even if it means less unexpected song transformations. I do wish they'd bring back some of the songs they haven't played in ages, Raining in Baltimore, I'm not sleeping, Have you seen me lately and Angels of the silences for example. I wouldn't care about the songs not being "perfectly performed", as long as they are played and sung honestly and with the passion that we love. The setlists have become a bit predictable even if they do change it up quite a bit still.

For me there was a long time where I couldn't listen to this band at all for various reasons I wont bore you with here, but after several years I came back and found that the songs that moved me back then still had the exact same effect on me when I started listening to them again. I also haven't connected as strongly to the more recent albums as the old ones, but I suppose that is to be expected as I'm not in the same place now as then. I really do enjoy playing both the cover album and the new one though. John Appleseed's Lament is epic in my eyes. (or should that be ears?)

I'm forever grateful for the generosity from members of this site, if it hadn't been for you guys my collection would probably still consist of some crappy mp3s. I miss the people that don't come here any more it was nice to have more activity on the site, but I'm not leaving until someone carry me off kicking and screaming.  ;D
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline Maya

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:09:15 PM »
I will comment as a newer member of the web site . I was not introduced into Counting crows until hard candy came out, and did not become a big fan until recent years. From what i've heard this website may not be as good as it used to but i love browsing around here and watching the core fans discuss. i love the new album very much and the songs to me have the feel of older counting crows material,  and the lyrics are stranger but somehow still relevant. I really hope for ur case that this web site could grow to what it used to be . I am really thankful for web sites like anna Begins that seem to be coming back and i have gotten a great amount of live material from there in the past month or 2. i hope this one can revive as well but i feel with this new era of the band it is possible !

much love,
Maya

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
I can't agree with you on the new material (I absolutely adore the new album), but unfortunately your points about the community are pretty accurate.

The trading community definitely isn't what it was. Honestly ever since the loss of the official boards and the time when this site shut down and Hummingbird, the Trading Network, Anna, etc.. the only real communities that exist are the friendships and circles that had already been made. The sad part is this clearly reflects on the trading aspect of the fan base.

Thanks Maya for the kind words about AnnaBegins. One of the things I'm really excited about is the fact that you are not only able to download the full shows, but you can now easily stream them right on the website. You don't even have to download if you don't want.. just select a show, press play, and it'll automatically play through. It's like Spotify for CC boots, it even lays out nicely on the mobile site. There are about 12 shows up there right now and there will be a ton more soon. I know a lot of people struggled with the Torrent aspect of boots as well, so I think it'll be nice to have a bunch of shows with easy access for everyone. Then again I know some of you will complain about mp3's. ;)

Check it out.. and if anyone has any show requests (I'll do my best!) or any submissions.. you can always email andrew@annabegins.com.

http://anna-begins.com/cc/audio/full-shows/

It's not the same.. but it's something. Once I get the archives from the old site up I look forward to keeping it updated with new stuff and old gems. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:36:32 AM by duritzfan13 »

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
Rob, I totally get you. I feel like less of a completist these days... particularly with so-so sounding recordings (which has been an issue for Ryan Adams tapes this year in particular).

Your comments do make me want to get back on working on the digital archive. With a bit of work, I can have a draft done that I can get around to you and Phil and others that want to supplement it. Maybe I can set aside a day next week (I'll be in between jobs) to get the draft done and then we can go from there.

Dfan, I had no idea you had streaming boots up on annabegins. That's a great idea, and you should be promoting it a bit more. One simple thing that would be nice to add is whether the tape is soundboard or audience - it's useful info. Maybe even the whole lineage to give some credit to the tapers (where we know who they are).

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »
Dfan, I had no idea you had streaming boots up on annabegins. That's a great idea, and you should be promoting it a bit more. One simple thing that would be nice to add is whether the tape is soundboard or audience - it's useful info. Maybe even the whole lineage to give some credit to the tapers (where we know who they are).

Thanks! Will do. A good number of the shows up there now came from archives of the old site and some were left with no name. I planned on getting them credited anyway so I'll see what I can do and will be working on that soon.

Will be promoting it plenty more. This is just the start.. I finally got a decent number of shows up to start showing it off.

Offline yidosengland

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:50 AM »
I have seen various message boards come and go and possibly nothing will ever match the near perfect early albums , i wasnt keen on Hard Candy , didnt like SNSM , love the new album i was surpised how good it is , but i wouldnt miss a Crows tour for anything , one of the few bands i would see every night of a tour if i could , its never going to be 1997 again , i have a cupboard full of Crows tapes cds and dvds i will probably never play again but i have had so much fun collecting and trading them going back to the days of blanks and postage , made so many fake internet friends who later became real friends of all ages all around the world , i know people who have lost that special feeling they once had for the band and its understandable we all grow older life changes but remember the good times and long may the Counting Crows community go on in one form or another , do we even need a tracker in these days of dropbox google drive etc ?

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »
I do think the lack of a tracker makes it a bit harder to expand the community. People come and download whatever is new that was posted (or an old show that Dutchie kindly put up), but I think the tracker made it a lot easier for an archive to live here, and it allowed people to dive in.

But I also think the taping community is very different from years past. People search for videos on youtube and not for whole shows, and it's slowly eroding the community of taping. People want simpler ways to tape - I can't stand how many times I see tapes with "internal mics > iPhone" as the lineage. Yes, it's great that you're trying to capture what might be a special moment. But it was a much more enjoyable hobby when more people put some art into taping. (I know this is completely selfish, as I'm not a taper. It's a bummer.)

Offline earlbny

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »
I am just happy to post here with all my old and new friends. I recently started taping. I am no expert but I wanted to give back to this community for all the years I've spent downloading shows. I love that they band is releasing shows. I had that suggestion back during the CKKL days. Like others have said they sound a bit stale without audience noise. Jam bands still have a taping community. I've since made friends with Yarn fans who tape shows all the time. I miss the days when Round Here was not played every night and each version was different. Don't get me wrong every Crows show is great and I'll continue to go. Some nights it feels like they are going through the motions. They also need to play less cover songs and more songs from the 1st 3 albums.
One for sorrow Two for joy

In the evenings on Long Island
When the colors start to fade

FOLK THE SYSTEM

I\'m a Russian Jew American

Joba rules

See Shiri Appleby in Chicago Fire on NBC this fall and on HBO's Girls this Jan.

http://www.yarnmusic.net

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 08:08:21 PM »
I understand where you're coming from. I think I've just drifted away from the band in general, although I have been enjoying listening to some of the recent live shows, and I'd love to catch a concert one day soon.  I've loved the Crows ever since the early days, when I collected various boots from B&P trades and "commercial" boots from local record stores.  Lost them all years ago to theft and was thrilled to find Crowstown about seven years ago or so, and then accidentally became somewhat of a completist, possibly due to the great community here and the opportunity to attend several shows around that time.  Maybe I just burned out from collecting and listening to too many of them!  I do miss the days when the tracker was running, as the conversation revolved around the live shows, the alts, the stories behind the boots, etc.  I haven't given up on the band or this site, but I've definitely not been around much recently...  It's a shame as there are a lot of great folks here, and I miss this community.  Also sad to see others drift away like Simon and now Rob.

Offline yidosengland

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:33:34 AM »
" you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave "

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »
" you can check out anytime you want but you can never leave "

First Miley Cyrus now The Eagles,this place is going down hill  :o