Author Topic: 2015 U.S. Tour  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Leonard1818

2015 U.S. Tour
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »
Has anyone been posting/checking setlists? 

I know Setlist.FM isn't always 100% correct but I've been looking to see what they're playing (so I know what to maybe expect) and it looks like they're mixing in some goodies!  I saw Daylight Fading and Children in Bloom on two recent sets... I sure hope they keep up the stuff from Recovering the Satellites!

I'll be seeing them in Ohio at the Rose Music Center.  I saw on FB they posted some big to do at the Columbus OH show at LC Pavilion -- free posters for first 100 people or something, then a celebration b/c of OSU football or something... I just hope they save some of the Ohio songs/Ohio love for the Huber Hts. Ohio show.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
Re: 2015 U.S. Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
From what i've seen they are still pretty much sticking to the same setlist they've been doing for a while now.
Opener Round here or Sullivan street
Scarecrow
Mr Jones
 A mix  of the new songs,covers (blues run the game ) crowdpleasers Omaha ,December and 4 or 5 songs of the other albums that make the variation.
Encore
Palisades Park
Rain king
Holiday in Spain

Hope you get a great show and they start proving me wrong ,) let us know how it was.

Online cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
Children in Bloom has not been rare at all this year. It's basically that or Teenage Gravity in the slot right before the acoustic set (I personally prefer Teenage Gravity, but I just like that tune a lot).

I was really encouraged to see them working in a bit of SNSM in Canada (1492, Los Angeles, even Hanging Tree), but that seems to have mostly stopped. They've really ditched that record hard.

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
They did play Come Around the other day. Hope that one stays in!

Online cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
That one has come in and out... they played it for a stretch last summer, and then it's shown up pretty rarely this year.

Honestly, it's a weird thing, and it's interesting to have a broader discussion on - what we've always asked of the band is hey, play two hours each show, mix up the setlists. And frankly, that's what they're giving us now! They play just about two hours a night (barring curfews / time restrictions), and if you went to three shows in a week, you'd be sure to get different setlists (other than the encore, A Long December, and Scarecrow).

But I definitely have the sense that the band is in a bit of a rut - the structure of the setlists are predictable, and while they rotate songs, there's a lot that tend to make it in almost every show, while many others come out once a month. Adam's right when he said that they rotate something like 70-80 songs - but, Omaha, Start Again and God of Ocean Tides get A LOT more love than 1492, or Daylight Fading, or Four Days. Is that complain just us being insane completists who listen to a ton of shows and follow the setlists? I'm not sure. I definitely feel less excited to see the Crows this summer than in the past couple because it feels like the shows are going to be substantially similar to the ones I've seen the last three years.

Offline Leonard1818

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »
From what i've seen they are still pretty much sticking to the same setlist they've been doing for a while now.
Opener Round here or Sullivan street
Scarecrow
Mr Jones
 A mix  of the new songs,covers (blues run the game ) crowdpleasers Omaha ,December and 4 or 5 songs of the other albums that make the variation.
Encore
Palisades Park
Rain king
Holiday in Spain

Hope you get a great show and they start proving me wrong ,) let us know how it was.

They *do* stick to a similar lineup, but those small substitutions can make the show the greatest ever.  Take Richard Manuel for instance... first time I saw them was @ meadowbrook in MI and while Adam sounded a bit less enthusiastic... they played Richard Manuel and it was AWESOME!  Then I saw them last December and the Ft. Wayne show had both Mrs. Potter and Blues run the game (which I hadn't heard live) -- but the rest was not my pick of songs.  I hate saying that.  It was incredible.  He could have sang jingle bells and it would have been an incredible show.  I just REALLY love RTS songs.  Then in Detroit a few days later, they did Children in Bloom but the rest was again not my pick.  I've been annoyed b/c I'm in NW OH and it's always closer to go to MI or IN so I hardly ever get to hear the Ohio songs! 

Thanks for your well wishes regarding the show.  I really need a great show.  I need a good transition into fall and the next chapter!

(right now he's yelling at me in my ears "I need a phone call I need a raincoat I need a sunburn!" lol)

Children in Bloom has not been rare at all this year. It's basically that or Teenage Gravity in the slot right before the acoustic set (I personally prefer Teenage Gravity, but I just like that tune a lot).

I was really encouraged to see them working in a bit of SNSM in Canada (1492, Los Angeles, even Hanging Tree), but that seems to have mostly stopped. They've really ditched that record hard.

I actually love both of those songs (Children and Teenage gravity).  I would give the edge to Children in bloom -- but wouldn't be disappointed with either.  I would melt into a pile of mush if they played Cowboys (or heck 1492).  I hope to hear Children in bloom!

They did play Come Around the other day. Hope that one stays in!

That one has come in and out... they played it for a stretch last summer, and then it's shown up pretty rarely this year.

Honestly, it's a weird thing, and it's interesting to have a broader discussion on - what we've always asked of the band is hey, play two hours each show, mix up the setlists. And frankly, that's what they're giving us now! They play just about two hours a night (barring curfews / time restrictions), and if you went to three shows in a week, you'd be sure to get different setlists (other than the encore, A Long December, and Scarecrow).

But I definitely have the sense that the band is in a bit of a rut - the structure of the setlists are predictable, and while they rotate songs, there's a lot that tend to make it in almost every show, while many others come out once a month. Adam's right when he said that they rotate something like 70-80 songs - but, Omaha, Start Again and God of Ocean Tides get A LOT more love than 1492, or Daylight Fading, or Four Days. Is that complain just us being insane completists who listen to a ton of shows and follow the setlists? I'm not sure. I definitely feel less excited to see the Crows this summer than in the past couple because it feels like the shows are going to be substantially similar to the ones I've seen the last three years.

Well, in my stupid opinion (Omaha, Start Again and God of Ocean Tides) < (1492, or Daylight Fading, and Four Days) 

The latter 3 are 3 of my favorite songs by the band.  The former 3... well, I love Omaha and god of ocean tides.  Would you believe me if I told you I listen to CC on random on my phone and as I was typing this we went from God of Ocean tides to Omaha?  Ha!

But to your point, it is an interesting thing -- and it's hard for us as fans to even understand it from the other side.  I think ultimately, it's on us.  Our tastes in songs, our "wants" etc.  Everyone is different and wants to hear different stuff.  I don't think the band is in a "rut" necessarily.  They've been touring their folkin @sses off lately -- that's insane to me.  I do agree that the shows have become somewhat "predictable" -- I mean the opening and encore especially.  But would a COMPLETELY different set make it better?  Worse?  Who knows.... I'll still be going.  As long as they're touring.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »
Most people will have no problem with the setlist at all but for someone like me who loves listening to live shows and who is interested in setlist i feel they have become too predictable for my taste lately.The songs are not the problem at all i would rather have them play a bunch of songs that are not my favorites but that they haven't played in a while than hearing my favorites every night in the same spot.I think it's the amount of songs that seem to have gotten a steady spot in the setlist is what bothers me the most.Last normal show we went to my husband could see the setlist on stage i warned him not to tell me because i want to be surprised.Just for fun i started naming songs i asumed they would play,he looked at me totally surprised and asked why are you going to this show if you already know what they are going to play.That kind of started me thinking about this.
Adam put an italian show in external links, it is the perfect example of the setlist i'm talking about.I think it's also the first time i have not downloaded a show because i felt i already have enough shows that are pretty much identical.
They have set the bar so high in the past with those amazing setlist.Maybe they have become more predictable maybe it's easier this way for band and crew while touring,maybe i have gotten to know them to well and need a break i don't know.
Don't get me wrong it's still an amazing band to see live and next time they come my way i will still be going.

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
the main reason I stopped even looking at Livecountingcrows.com instead of looking forward to buying a few shows is that 75% of the setlist seems to be set in stone and has been for too long , some nights the only track from RTS is A Long December , the band plays so well as a unit these days that there is very little difference from a song played on one night to another , even some of the alts are becoming predictable .

Having said all the above if your only going to see or listen to one show your in for a treat as the band is probably as good live if not better than they have ever been
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:54:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm only going to two shows this summer, but I'm not too bummed about only seeing them twice because the setlists have been so similar. If they were mixing it up more, I would have been much more eager to see as many shows as possible, but as it is, when I know they'll play a lot of the same songs, it doesn't make me desperate to see every show. (Although that being said, I wish I had gotten tickets to Huntingdon, because that show's on my birthday and I didn't realize the venue was accessible from the city, so if anyone has extra tickets, please let me know!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:18:16 PM by Clairvoyant »
Claire

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
At least they seem to be adding more of RTS now,i've seen Goodnight Eisabeth,Recovering the Satellites,Catapult,Mercury,Children in bloom all such great songs.

Offline earlbny

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »
I went to the NYC show last night. The venue is only about a year old. The sound was not that good from the front row. Kind of muffled. Loved the Time opener. I could do with out the covers. I am OK if you play 1 cover but I don't need to hear that many in one show. I totally get why you play Jones and December. I would rather hear some more deeper cuts but I can live with that. I have not heard GNE in forever so that was a treat.  I like to write down the setlist and take notes on my phone. When I heard the opening notes to GNE I also wrote down Pale Blue Eyes. After I wrote it I prayed that I would be wrong. Nope. Predicable. Same goes for Rain King Someone to watch over me. Quite going through the motions. Is it that hard to switch the Alts up? I also love Jambands and long songs. The longer the better. CIB has that jam at the end of the song where Adam leaves the stage and the rest of the band takes off. If I played last nights version along side the version from the 10/29/08 Wellmount show they would sound identical note for note. I know they are not the Grateful Dead but that was too rehearsed. That was Dan and Immy showing off. Bands like the Grateful dead never played the same show or song twice.  The encore was predictable. Instead of HIS can we get Walkaways every once in a while. Last night was my 1st time hearing Possibility Days live. Now my Somewhere Under Wonderland album is complete. As for the opening acts I loved Hollis Brown. Despite being a run of the mill bar band. I've heard so many bands over the years that sound just like them. This was my 2nd time seeing them. I saw them a year ago opening up for Rich Robinson. I only liked 1 song the 1st time I saw them. Last night I dug all of them except 1. They reminded me of The Black Crowes & Rolling Stones. Hollis Brown's guitar player made Dan seem like he's non existent. He was showing off in every song. The music snob in me wished Hollis Brown's keyboard player played a real Piano and not some cheesy keyboard. Now onto Citizen Cope. I am into laid back music. This guy was too laid back. His songs had a hip hop vibes to them even. It took him a few songs to get into his groove. At one point he said to the crowd "I want to thank" and then stopped. He forgot who he was opening for.  It was kind of funny. I don't know if he was high and I don't want to assume. Over all it was not a bad show and I had lots of fun but I've been to better shows. My MVP of the night was Bryson. He's usually the quite one in the corner but tonight he got a lot of playing time.  I was also standing right in front of him.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:29:33 PM by earlbny »
One for sorrow Two for joy

In the evenings on Long Island
When the colors start to fade

FOLK THE SYSTEM

I\'m a Russian Jew American

Joba rules

See Shiri Appleby in Chicago Fire on NBC this fall and on HBO's Girls this Jan.

http://www.yarnmusic.net

Online cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
Yeah, was not totally feeling it last night. I had to work and couldn't get to the venue until 7:45 - it was not a great venue towards the back at all.

Was nice to see Time and Time Again as the opener, but even the surprises in the rest of the setlist (good to see Untitled back in there, good song) just didn't hit me. Maybe I've listened to too many shows, but that felt like a by the numbers show last night. Maybe I'd have liked it better if it wasn't a hot night on a pier.

Offline earlbny

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
ITA Chris. Last night did not have that old Crows magic I've come to love. I miss the days when you had no idea what they were going to play or what alts they were going to use. The made up ones were my favorite. I have 3 more shows this tour. I've never seen a bad show at the Paramount or PNC so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get at least one good show. I hope they surprise me.
One for sorrow Two for joy

In the evenings on Long Island
When the colors start to fade

FOLK THE SYSTEM

I\'m a Russian Jew American

Joba rules

See Shiri Appleby in Chicago Fire on NBC this fall and on HBO's Girls this Jan.

http://www.yarnmusic.net

Online cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 06:49:04 PM »
I'm going to the Paramount as well - couldn't get myself up for the trek from Queens to Jersey for PNC this time. I'm probably going to head out to Kaaboo as well since a friend is playing the festival.

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »
I can't agree with the comment about the magic, because I thought last night was one of the better shows I've seen in a long time. This past Saturday in Baltimore was probably the strangest set I've ever seen them play, but last night in NYC they were on fire. It had the energy that Baltimore was missing (not that they ever play a BAD show) and the band was in good spirits. I agree with a lot of the comments about the setlists, nothing out of the ordinary, but I was very happy last night with Potters, Time and Time, Possibility Days, CIB, etc.

I'd like to point out that IMO 2008 was their best year for setlists. Go onto LiveCountingCrows.com and just flip through all the shows on that tour. Different opening song almost every night. I started somewhere in the middle of the tour and saw one night they opened with Omaha, next night they opened with Le Ballet D'Or, next night RTS, next night 1492, next night Hanging Tree, next Goodnight LA, etc...

The setlists were so unpredictable that year. Wish they would go back to the unpredictability of that time, but I can't complain too much because they are really playing incredible these days.

anything