Author Topic: 2015 U.S. Tour  (Read 4842 times)

Offline earlbny

• Three for a Wedding
Re: 2015 U.S. Tour
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »
I love Speedway and Goodnight Elisabeth.
One for sorrow Two for joy

In the evenings on Long Island
When the colors start to fade

FOLK THE SYSTEM

I\'m a Russian Jew American

Joba rules

See Shiri Appleby in Chicago Fire on NBC this fall and on HBO's Girls this Jan.

http://www.yarnmusic.net

Offline Leonard1818

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 04:47:51 PM »
I was really debating going to see them in Columbus, OH on Labor day.  It would have been a lot of driving and standing for me (I was hit by a 17 ton truck and have a bad back as it is!) -- so I elected to spend the time with my family.  Which is good b/c there were only a handful of standout songs.  Don't get me wrong (I'd be mortified if I ever found out CC read this).... all songs are amazing to hear live.  I appreciate and love them all in a different way.... but I really like hearing songs like the ones I'll outline below.  I think they played sessions in C-bus but it was hard to make out the writing on the setlist... lol.  They also played Children in Bloom there too and I would love to hear that song live.... anyway....

totally had tix to Huber Hts. show and went last night and it was INCREDIBLE.  Here's the setlist:

Time and Time Again
Elvis went to Hollywood
Mr. Jones
Scarecrow
Goodnight Elisabeth (pale blue eyes)
Monkey
Omaha
Mrs. Potter
Cover the sun up with things
Grievous Angel
Recovering the Satellites
Hanging Tree
Speedway
Big Yellow Taxi
Earthquake Driver
Long December

Palisades Park
Rain King
Holiday in Spain

My favorites (in order they were played):
Goodnight Elisabeth
Monkey (which I usually don't love when it comes up on shuffle but live... NICE)
Mrs. Potter
Recovering the Satellites (OMG!)
Hangin Tree (OMFG)
Speedway

The whole show was incredible.  My seats were good but I was aisle so when they started playing Recovering the Satellites, I couldn't help myself and ran up front.  I started doing the Wayne's world "We're not worthy!" motion and got a good laugh out of Adam.

I was really thinking we'd hear 4 days but no such luck.  That's OK -- I really can't complain.  They just put on an amazing show.  Did it again!

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
Great setlist, good to see they have started to play some RTS songs again.
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline earlbny

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
Great review and setlist.

FOLK THE SYSTEM

Joba rules

Offline Leonard1818

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
Thanks.

As for the actual show content and progression, I was a bit concerned that they may not be feeling it before hand.  I went to see them in 2013 in MI and they didn't seem too into it.  In an attempt to correlate their performance in  Michigan to something, I figured it was because they didn't sell all of the tickets and had to go through Groupon.  I thought maybe they figured that the people there weren't going to be as into it since they got cheap tix and maybe they were not thrilled that they didn't sell more tix.  I'm not sure... I mean, it was a good show (if anyone was there, Meadowbrook music festival on 7/4/13) but I just felt like something was up and maybe Adam wasn't horribly into it that night.....

Well, similar scenario with Huber Hts. Ohio in regards to crowd/ticket sales... they ended up selling the back seat tickets for $15 ea. and the venue was NOT packed at all... That plus the fact that they had just played Columbus Ohio the day before and it was hot and stuff... I figured maybe they'd be tired and unenthused about the crowd.

But man was I wrong.  Adam was all smiles and seemed very excited.  Even Emmer... I yelled to him during a break between songs and just cheered him on (cause he was rocking as usual) and he got to laughing and even did the "rock n roll" devil horn hand signal to show his appreciation toward my enthusiasm. 

All in all I was totally wrong in my conclusion that they are less enthusiastic about the show based on crowd or ticket sales.  I mean, it was a pretty good crowd but a lot of the folks around me didn't know the newer songs... I'd say most people didn't know 1/2 of the songs played.  I'm pretty sure Adam noticed that I knew every word to every song cause during some of the new songs he came over and looked directly at me as he (and I) sang all of the words. 

Adam even thanked everyone for coming out and acknowledged that they had just played a show 50 miles away (the Columbus OH show) the night before so he thanked people for coming out to the Huber Hts. OH show.

And as always he did say "Don't worry.... we WILL be back!" so that's exciting! 

conclusion:  I could not be happier with the show and my experience.  I suppose I would have LOVED to be front and center.... maybe someday.... ;)

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »
I will say, after my somewhat lukewarm review of the Pier 97 show - I thought the Paramount show was really good. Might have been my mood, a couple of nice surprises in the setlist (acoustic Rain King opener! John Appleseed!), or just being indoors instead of a way too muggy night on a pier, but I liked it a lot better. I still think the setlist feels a little too predictable right now, but I'm excited to see them again at Kaaboo, where have they have a surprisingly long 90 minute slot.

Offline Leonard1818

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
The setlist is a bit predictable these days, you're right.  I think part of it is that it just makes it a little easier for them.  I would like to see them totally change up the Encore... that is the absolute most predictable 3 songs of the set. 

But -- they have so many songs that I love so much, plus a lot of popular songs that fill a lot of spots -- it would be hard to pack it all in and include the popular songs to please the crowd.

At least they're playing more Recovering the Satellites stuff (I heard the title song, one of my absolute favorites!!) this tour so that's fun!  All in all, yes, I'd like to see the songs I want to see -- but I understand why they do what they do and although predictable to a degree, I still get out to one or two shows every tour so it hasn't deterred me! 

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 08:52:14 PM »
I feel like they need something to shake up their sets in the way that the Outlaw Roadshow did. The new album helped a bit last summer, but we've seen a lot of touring since they've worked in those new songs.

Adam has talked enough about celebrating RTS that I do wonder if something is in the works for the 20th anniversary next year. A tour where they played all of RTS would be cool; even if they only did a show or two where they played the whole thing, it might spill into the setlists and get them to work in some of the songs that haven't gotten significant rotation in years (Catapult, Angels of the Silences, etc.).

Offline earlbny

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
I would love it If they played another Town Hall show like they did with AAEA. RTS needs lots of love.

FOLK THE SYSTEM

Joba rules

Offline Leonard1818

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 10:20:32 PM »
Now if they played a full RTS show, I'd honestly take time off of work and go to as many in my few-state area as I could.  That would be incredible. 

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
Thanks for setlist and reviews.

Offline cmay3131

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
My wife and I attended the chicago show this past Saturday. It was our favorite show of the 6 times we've now seen them. I tweeted adam to play accidentally in love for a couple that drove 8 hours (from nashville) to be there. The tweet was favorited by Hollis brown and ultimately we got what we wanted! That was our first time hearing it. We actually had a lot of first time songs on this show. They opened with anna begins which was a huge surprise. We also got goodnight Elisabeth and come around which was great. This set was about as close to a greatest hits set as adam will give us and the crowd, at least our section, ate it up. Taxi, December, jones, hard candy, rain king, hangingaround, and accidentally in love made our section go nuts. A lot of fun as always. Only downside was 40 degrees with windchill when the show started and got adam sick for the next show!

Offline Leonard1818

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »
YAY!! They updated LiveCountingCrows.com and put out my show!  I was very bummed cause it skipped those dates for a while... as in, they did up to 9/5/15 and then the next one I saw was 9/10/15 -- leaving the rest out... I figured they hadn't gotten them recorded.  But they did!  My 9/8 show is there.  Maybe I'll hear me going crazy or I'll hear Adam laughing at me (for going crazy).