Author Topic: The Outlaw Roadshow 2016  (Read 1149 times)

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
The Outlaw Roadshow 2016
« on: October 18, 2016, 12:56:01 PM »
Anyone going to the roadshow  ? I would love to hear Sonic Cow Grunt.

http://www.rslblog.com/2016/10/behold-2016-outlaw-roadshow-new-york.html

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
Re: The Outlaw Roadshow 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
I am! Glad to hear that's happening, since Sonic Cow Grunt sat things out last year.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:03:05 PM »
Let 's hope someone is taping.Have fun and let us know how it was.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:06:58 PM »
Cross-posted from Facebook, and then some more extended thoughts, because I feel like I'd rather share them here.
------
Just finished a few minutes ago. Band was Adam / Immy / Rob and Matt Beck on guitar. Everyone had had a bit to drink before the show, which made things pretty interesting. Mix of CC, MB20 and covers, with the guys sharing vocals on a lot of the songs (Adam really slayed the MB20 songs). El Goodo was a highlight. Show ended with a very long singalong at the end of Rain King, which Adam concluded by saying "Let's get one thing straight - *I* am the rain king."

Omaha
If you're gone
Long December
3am
Blues Run the Game
Disease
Like a Virgin
Goodo
Time after Time
Was Sq
New RT song
Rain King
---------

So, I've seen Adam Duritz drunk on stage before, a few times. I think this was the drunkest. By the end of the show, he was clearly just kinda gone (although as they were going through lyric sheets mid-show, he was already forgetting what they'd already played). Still, especially on songs that are like muscle memory for him, it was a beautiful performance. El Goodo was amazing.

Adam sounded so great on the MB20 songs he sang on (If You're Gone and 3AM - he didn't sing on Disease) that I wondered if a new version of the Traveling Circus with Rob Thomas might be fun? It would certainly be a different show than the last few years. Thomas just seemed really excited to be a part of the community and I'm curious if he'll be staying involved.

Similar to the Traveling Circus shows - the format of this show, alternating songs by both bands and covers, reminded me of how those shows really lacked the chance to build an emotional moments. You do 10 Crows songs (or covers that basically are Crows songs) in a row and it can be very effecting. This definitely felt more on the fun side, with the banter and trading vocals.

I also thought seeing Rob and Adam perform together really contrasted their philosophies. RT was such a perfectionist - he restarted If You're Gone a legit 4 times because he kept screwing up a lyric, whereas when Adam blew a line in Rain King, he just shrugged and waited until the music hit the next spot where he remembered. On the other hand, it was kinda cool to see RT lead singalongs, particularly on the Crows song (the one at the end of Rain King was particularly fun and something Adam would never, ever do).

Anyway, it's always fun to see Adam and Immy in these small spaces, but I'd probably rank this third among the Roadshow performances (2012 because of the surprise and how emotional Adam was is my #1, then the crazy late night show in 2013 where they debuted SUW songs, then this year, then 2014 which was a little rote).

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »
Thanks for the review Chris.I've watched the video's Claire posted and i agree El Goodo is one of the highlights.I always thought of Adam as a perfectionist too but when he's drunk it's a different story. It seems to be a fun show if you were there in person it has a sort of Shim Sham feeling to it.
Recently i relistened to the 2013 recording of this, i really like that one still a sucker of that slow version of Cover up the sun.

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 06:56:36 AM »
Could you please share the 2013 show thanks

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:14:25 AM »
Sure, it's still on my PC so i will upload it now and put it in external links.It's one file no seperate tracks.

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 07:29:54 PM »
that's great many thanks Dave

Offline earlbny

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »
ITA with everything Chris said. Where I was standing everyone around me came to see Rob. He was a big draw. I was not a fan of Rob this summer. He's has a lot of stage present and is a great performer. I am just not a fan of his solo work. However at the roadshow he definitely impressed me. I've seen Adam drunk before. One year at the roadshow he had a cooler on stage. This Roadshow takes the cake. At one point he was lying on the floor. Adam and Rob refused to play till they had beer on stage. It made for some very funny banter.  When the summer tour first started I thought it was a complete cash grab. After the roadshow  I can see that they are truly good friend

'Please Welcome, ah my favorite band Sonic Cow Grunt'

Ladies and gentlemen without further ado I present my copy of Sonic Cow Grunt from the 10/21/16 Outlaw Roadshow.

Feel free to let me know what you think of my recording. I split up all the tracks and tried to make it sound good. If anyone wants the original file just let me know. In order to download the show click on the link below and unzip the file. All of the songs are in wav format. Enjoy the music. The following files will be available for download until Tue, 01 Nov 2016.

https://transfer.pcloud.com/download.html?code=5ZiFsMZgIdPXcF9Jk5ZocI5ZQ5us6n0yqILlyyGWs5BlnSv5yBJV
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:19:37 PM by earlbny »
One for sorrow Two for joy

In the evenings on Long Island
When the colors start to fade

FOLK THE SYSTEM

I\'m a Russian Jew American

Joba rules

See Shiri Appleby in Chicago Fire on NBC this fall and on HBO's Girls this Jan.

http://www.yarnmusic.net

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
Many thanks for taping and sharing it here.What i've heard so far sounds great.
Personally i would prefer a little less Rob and a little more Adam but that's just me ;)

Offline Berry

• Marianne
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
I saw some of it on YouTube

It made me very sleepy. I guess you had to be there yourself.

Well, if anybody is interested here is the link of Rain King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaolWn5PZkM
Everybody's starry eyed

It's like I'm standing on the edge with just a telephone wire
Trying to get to you first to say the world's on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIpJqW5Mz4

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
Have a couple of drinks and watch it around midnight.

Offline Berry

• Marianne
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Loved reading your review btw. Buuuurp cheers!
Everybody's starry eyed

It's like I'm standing on the edge with just a telephone wire
Trying to get to you first to say the world's on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIpJqW5Mz4

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 10:31:36 PM »
;D ;D ;D  Loved reading your review btw. Buuuurp cheers!

Thanks.

I kid, of course. There probably is something to the idea that finding out "tonight's the night" then waiting for 5 hours until it finally happens, having drinks, seeing a ton of other bands... it influences the way these shows land in the room as opposed to listening to them a few days later. Same for the Shim Sham shows in the past. Not that you necessarily "had to be there," just that those that were are maybe not the best arbiters of quality.

anything