Author Topic: Rank The Studio Albums  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Mangaba

Rank The Studio Albums
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:37:10 PM »
How would you rank the Counting Crows studio albums? And briefly, why?

For me:

1) Hard Candy -- perfect pop
2) This desert life -- perfect folk
3) Recovering the satellites -- fantastic production
4) Somewhere under wonderland -- refreashing in some ways
5) August and everything after -- a little raw, very good.
6) Saturday nights sunday mornings -- they could have done better, some songs simply aren't in the same level of quality.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:44:41 PM by Mangaba »

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
Re: Rank The Studio Albums
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:28:34 AM »
why not :

RTS    - almost perfect in my top ten albums ever
AAEA  - see above
TDL    - a great album
SUW   - a grower
HC      - some great songs but the album doesnt flow not sure if its the two different producers or just the running order
SNSM - an album of leftovers and it shows , best tracks are the ones that should have made earlier albums and Sessions which didnt even manage to make it past a bonus track
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline walsden

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »
I agree completely with yidosengland:

RTS - their best production and performances; Adam's best vocals. Ben Mize's drumming is outstanding.
AAEA - probably the best songwriting top to bottom, but production and performances aren't as strong.
TDL - along with SUW, offers a level of color, tasteful experimentation, and adventurousness that I love.
SUW - almost edged out TDL. Some of my favorite lyrics since AAEA.
HC - A bunch of great songs, but an uneven listening experience overall. This and SNSM are the only albums with clunkers on it.
SNSM - songs just aren't as good; Adam tries way too hard to sound pained throughout.

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:42:04 PM »
With the two above on this

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »
I think it's worth trying to group them.

Tier 1
1) AAEA - still spectacular, the depth of the songs shows in how they've been able to be reinterpreted live for over 20 years now and rarely feel stale

Tier 2
2) TDL - The band refocusing on this one live over the last few years has hammered home for me how much many of these songs speak to me.
3) RTS - As a record, it's probably 10 minutes too long, but the songs are all still great.

Tier 3
HC - I love this record more than most, but it's pretty uneven.
SNSM - Maybe I was in the right headspace for this record when it came out, but I like a lot of it.
SUW - Very little of this record connects to me emotionally. It's perfectly fine, but I'm not sure there's a classic on it.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
For me it's not possible to rank the first four albums,i love them all equally but in different ways .
AAEA : raw ,pure, in your face, a classic
RTS : awesome album,definitely the album with the most songs i prefer to see on the setlist
TDL : i love it as a whole,the songs,the sound the artwork, the vinyl.
HC : it feels like the most underrated album to me.For a big part it's just as deep and emotional as August but you have to dig a little deeper to see it.

SNSM : Great songs but i found it very difficult to listen to it as a complete album.Most likely because of the mix of "old" songs and new songs
            If they had left of some of the leftovers and added some of the bonussongs i think i would have liked it a lot more.

SUW : with the exception of a few songs i don't feel connected to this album..I can't really put my finger on it.The songs are good some of the lines are brilliant but parts of it feel forced like he was trying too hard to be clever.

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
How many slots would SNSM move up on everybody's list if "Suffocate" had been on the album?  ;)

Offline rlabs19

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »
August
Recovering
Hard Candy
Wonderland
This Desert Life
Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings

Offline lewislfowler

• One for Sorrow
    • http://www.untuckedfilms.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
This Desert Life
August
Recovering
Wonderland
Hard Candy
Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings

Offline Berry

• Marianne
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
Hard Candy
This Desert Life
Recovering
August
Saturday Nights/ Sunday Mornings
Wonderland
Everybody's starry eyed

It's like I'm standing on the edge with just a telephone wire
Trying to get to you first to say the world's on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPVT0GboK8

Offline SupernovaLBL

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »
RTS - Best complete album. Everyone is playing at the top of their game. Dan had more space without Immy and wrote great PARTS. It wasn't just solos, they were great parts. I miss that. Cool dark but optimistic vibe. Great songs, great variety. I love this record. Every year I get way into again and its like visiting a whole part of my life again. Just the interplay between Dan, Dave, Charlie and Immy from 4 minutes on in Miller's Angels alone makes the record great.

AAEA - The band had a "sound" on this record that's incredible, even if it was shaped by T-Bone. Great drumming and bass playing - fantastic rhythm section. I agree with T-Bone that the band lost something by losing Steve, even if Ben is great in his own way. Guitars sound really cool. Organ is really cool and has its own vibe. Band picks their spots instead of overplaying. You feel like you're in the room. The guitars in Rain King are awesome in the verses btw. I always wondered if they were indeed Dave, and after hearing the Slim's show from 93, they are! Dave's approach works well with Adam because it gives space to the story in the lyrics. But Dave's tone is incredible. Most underrated part of the band by far.

TDL - Good record with some really great moments. A little less focused than the last two efforts. I know that was intentional because this was an "indie" record. Kinda the band's Sgt. Pepper but in a desert instead of the technicolor 1967. I dig the travelling troubadour vibe of it, even if the songs don't always compliment it. 

SNSM - There ARE some great songs on here and the band was returning to focusing on their collective sound. But the guitars just don't sound as good as they did in the past - they aren't warm, they're fighting with each-other on the electric songs. Acoustic songs sound good but fail to capture the vibe of intimacy on previous efforts (Miller's Angels, Mercury, Perfect Blue Buildings... all sounds better compared to intimate songs on this record). The drumming just doesn't have the interesting character that Steve and Ben had. It sounds like a session drummer. I LIKE Jim, but it's true. Sounds like Adam is influenced by the plays he's been seeing in NY. This doesn't work as well for me because it sounds less honest than the deliveries on earlier records. Over enunciation sounds fake, even if it's popular. I preferred thinking of them as a California band too.

Hard Candy - I get what they were going for, almost too-sweet memories. But the tone of the instruments is too polished. It misses the sound of the amps, the sound of the room. But some of the songs are cool. There's a certain abrasiveness on the records from here on out. I think it's mostly Dan and Immy fighting over space, which is unfortunate.

SUW - Drums and really the whole record doesn't sound very good - kinda muffled and missing excitement in frequency range. Guitars are ok, but maybe can't be saved because of the tone of the drums. Songwriting is alright, but like some of SNSM, there's too much acting in Adam's delivery for my taste. I like plays, but incorporating delivery elements from them doesn't work for me. Johnny Appleseed's Lament is an awesome song though. I believe it's Dan's guitar on the left channel on this song - it sounds great. Immy's slide guitar in the center right is too overdriven and ultimately takes away from the song. He's a great player. I notice live that when he plays pedal steel the band sound improves greatly. He may just be too much for the overall sound of the band at times. Not always, but at times.

These opinions are subjective. The band is still fantastic. It's perfectly cool if you disagree.

Offline Mangaba

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »
In general, the newer albums are considered the worst for everybody. Do they still have the ability to make an album as good as their firsts albuns?

Offline duritzfan13

• Two for Mirth
  • www.annabegins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 11:38:41 PM »
In general, the newer albums are considered the worst for everybody. Do they still have the ability to make an album as good as their firsts albuns?

Personally, I don't think the songwriting quality has deteriorated at all. It's just changed. I think the first few records connect to people a lot more emotionally, which IMO also has to do with nostalgia and certain feelings attached to those records based on the listener at the time they heard it. A lot of people want them to write another AAEA or another RTS, but 20 years later that's not going to happen.. because what does that even mean? I think the band has continued to write incredible songs, but they've grown and matured along with the fans, and sometimes the two just don't synch up. Every record is different so it all depends on the listener. I think the songs have always been incredibly written though.

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
some of the songs on Somewhere Under Wonderland are as good as anything the band has ever written
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline malysa

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 02:36:26 AM »
I totally agree with both of y'all! (it's taking everything to not say andy & andy & & even though I know it's about time, I'm not sure I can ever give up little d... you'll always be that awesomeass emotionally fighting 10 year old to me;)