Author Topic: Rank The Studio Albums  (Read 2661 times)

Offline ridethemaverick

Re: Rank The Studio Albums
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 08:11:18 PM »
TDL - flawless to me, although if I hear Colorblind one more time, I'll scream. (Thank you, Cruel Intentions.)
AAEA - first Crows music I ever heard. I can still hear Mr. Jones and get all happy. (Plus it introduced me to Bob Dylan.)
RTS - kind of all over the place (seems like it's a harder rock edge than alt rock) but in a really good way.
 SUW - just a good, solid album. I think it's underrated.
(30 years of complete silence)
SNSM & HC - can't stand 'em. Too slick and polished. The kind of albums you have to make when you're finishing out a contract.

Offline Mangaba

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 12:05:58 PM »
some of the songs on Somewhere Under Wonderland are as good as anything the band has ever written

I think the problem is this: until HC, they used to make great ALBUMS; after HC they started to make good albums with some great songs.

Offline Sugar Mouse

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »
1. August and Everything After - for me, their best collection of songs with strong production. A perfect debut.
2. Hard Candy - for me, the band's second best collection of songs. Incredible melodies.
3. Somewhere Under Wonderland - really good songs. Great comeback album.
4. Recovering The Satellites - I like some of the songs but I think the band stretched too far out of their sweet spot on this one.
5. Saturday Nights/ Sunday Mornings - good songs. Some of the songs sound like demos to me.
6. This Desert Life - this album never connected with me.

Offline Malayka

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »
Id have to go:

RTS - perfectly imperfect and I don't think they've every bettered their elemental performances on this record. This record was raw - you can tell Adam was vulnerable, and the album cuts close to the bone. Hell, even the non album tracks from the time rank (for me at least) as some of their finest stuff (Suffocate, Good Luck, Chelsea, Barely out of Tuesday). Guitars which are cold, sharp and in your face, a stark piano sound, and a wonderfully muted ending to an album which remains one of my favourites of all time.
AAEA - The sound of a band emerging and discovering itself with material it had no right to have to start out with. Probably the main fault with this record is that virtually every song became even better live, I wish live from Town Hall was recorded 10 / 12 years earlier than it was, as that would have been difficult for anyone ever to have topped.
(Note - for me the zenith of the live performances of almost all of these songs was probably 1994 to 2002/3 and one or two even come across to me now as almost pale imitations - Omaha, ALD, Jones)
HC - I actually like most of this record, and imho it has aged reasonably well. I don't think some of the more interesting songs get played anywhere near regularly enough
TDL - Some great songs on here, but I'm not keen on the production and it still seems that they tried to remake AAEA. Great tour though!!
SUW - I must admit, this one leaves me a little cold. Probably only 3 or 4 songs on there which I think stack up against the larger body of work. The good songs are very good, but uneven for me.
SN/SM - As with SUW, because of its length possibly a few more songs I like than SUW, but also more that I'm not keen on. I think the idea (which seems to hark back to vinyl era, ironic since they haven't put this out on vinyl!) was probably better than the execution on this one.

I get the impression above all with the last 2 albums that there is a forced attempt to be relevant. Neither of the last 2 records has really caught my imagination, and I rarely listen to them now, but I listen to the first 4 regularly. Maybe that says more about me, but with other artists I like, it is the other way around, so I don't think I am completely nostalgic just yet.
This did, however, (to jump topics to another one) make me hope for a more random and mixed up setlist going forward. I don't just mean the songs played, but also versions of songs, and mix up alts (or indeed even having alts) - I cant be the only one who'd love a show featuring songs like T&TA, PBB, AOTS, Mercury, AHB, Sleeping, Amy, Up all night...... can I?

Finally, its all well and good re-issuing AAEA and RTS on vinyl for those who don't have them from first time around, but really the band ought to address the fact that too many of the records haven't had a vinyl release at all. IT makes my collection look kind of weird!

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »
good grief a post from Martin and who am I to argue with any of it , other than I actually like SUW
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »

This did, however, (to jump topics to another one) make me hope for a more random and mixed up setlist going forward. I don't just mean the songs played, but also versions of songs, and mix up alts (or indeed even having alts) - I cant be the only one who'd love a show featuring songs like T&TA, PBB, AOTS, Mercury, AHB, Sleeping, Amy, Up all night...... can I?

Yes, for a band that prides itself on its live performance, they have gotten very stale. I mean, they sell the individual shows, yet there's literally no reason to hear different versions of most of the songs (even songs with alts have been the same for a couple of years), and they don't even mix up the setlists well (they played like 35 shows last summer and you can hear all the songs from the tour by buying 11 of them).

Offline Malayka

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »
All's good in the hood Andy, I still lurk here when I get the chance - the great thing about music is that everyone hears different things and likes what they like, and your view on SUW is more than valid. In fact who am I to diss any of these records.

BTW, in reference to an answer you gave elsewhere, I too recall hearing that the studio tapes of RTS had been lost, which probably accounts for no deluxe version of the album. I believe that there was a studio version of Good Luck which was in a film but not on a soundtrack, but I'm not aware that anyone has heard the studio version of Suffocate. I believe that they also revisited it for SN/SM but Adam no longer likes the song so it didn't make the record. Not sure that the SN/SM version ever got out either. I hope that somewhere these things do exist and that one day they choose to release them, starting with the original version of AAEA....

Just looking at the Summer tour for 2017 - I like both bands but I reckon it means a roughly 75 min slot so it's likely to just be a festival type set and I understand that Matchbox 20 are the closing band this time round. For a band as good live as CC are, I think they've done way too many shared bill tours, and whilst money talks in the economics of touring, I cant help but wonder sometimes what could have been. In that respect, here in the UK we've been lucky to see the full length shows so many times. 

Offline Mangaba

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »

Yes, for a band that prides itself on its live performance, they have gotten very stale. I mean, they sell the individual shows, yet there's literally no reason to hear different versions of most of the songs (even songs with alts have been the same for a couple of years), and they don't even mix up the setlists well (they played like 35 shows last summer and you can hear all the songs from the tour by buying 11 of them).

I know that the last 2 albums arent as good as the previous ones, but I would like to see more songs of these albums in the shows. And with alts, why not? Why only onder songs get alts?

SN/SM is an album that deserved a little more attention. Washington Square for example, deserves to be played more. It seems that they dont "believe" in SN/SM and SUW. Today the shows are the first 4 albums plus some SUW. There are shows that they play more of AAEA than more recent songs.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »
Personally the only songs i want to hear of SUW at the moment are John Appleseed's Lament and Dislocation the other songs have been played enough unless they start playing around with them and do other versions.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
They played the SUW songs a ton in 2014 and 2015. In 2016, a few of them got pretty rare, but a few were played pretty regularly - Palisades, Cover Up the Sun, Scarecrow, God of Ocean Tides.

I do wish they'd find some new songs to work alts into. The last song that hadn't had alts to get them was, I think, Miami in 2008. Of course, the alt songs themselves are pretty stale at this point, too. Hoping the shorter sets this summer means a bit of creativity with what they do play.

Offline oldn00b

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 10:53:01 PM »

Unoriginal here:
RTS
AAEA
TDL
HC
SN/SM
SUW

I think I just decided at one point that I liked them directly proportionately to how they resonated with me on an emotional level.  Even if I've grown to love some albums more than others, how I felt in the years they came out made those impressions pretty sticky.  Putting Hard Candy that low is tough - Up All Night is probably my favorite song of theirs.

Finally, its all well and good re-issuing AAEA and RTS on vinyl for those who don't have them from first time around, but really the band ought to address the fact that too many of the records haven't had a vinyl release at all. IT makes my collection look kind of weird!

I want Hard Candy on vinyl so bad.  SN/SM too, but man, give me a 3xLP Hard Candy like yesterday.  So many great songs on that album.

Offline Playhouse

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
(1) AAEA - Raw, genuine, small yet full of so much feeling.  This is the poetry and truth of the band.
(2) RTS - This used to fall further on my list, not because I didn't love it but because of the harder sound. I've always been a fan of the album but the feel of the other albums stood closer to me.  Recovering has moved up a lot for me again recently.
(3) TDL - An overall fantastic collection of songs.  This and HC would swap places for me frequently, but I think this whole album is a stronger one start to finish over HC.
(4) SUW - A terrific album for the whole band, lyrically and musically. Doing the covers prior really did help the band find some renewed energy to launch into this and it's nice to hear them try out some things a bit out of their comfort zone.  The album sags a little in the middle, which is a bit unfortunate with a 9-song cycle, but its high points anchor it so well.
(5) HC - So much fun to be had on this record, even if it leans the most heavily poppy and produced of their albums.  Great tracks throughout, but even some of the denser songs, while beautiful, don't quite rise as much as some on other albums.  Still, this is 5th only by a matter of small degrees.
(6) SN&SM - This jumped up to below August for me for a while, but it's come to swap with RTS for me.  There is fantastic musicianship on it, and I enjoy the concept album in design.  In execution, though, it doesn't quite stack up as a full experience.  I find I revisit the whole [double] album less than I do the others.
(7) US - I'll include it because it is a full studio recording, even if it's not their original material.  The hodgepodge nature works against it a bit, but there are some terrific recordings here. This was a great palate cleanser for them.  I put it at the bottom because of the material and because I revisit as a whole album about as often as I do Saturday Nights.  Still, like with HC, these are matters of degree in where they are placed.

Offline Playhouse

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2017, 12:46:20 PM »

The issue with this comes down less with the band and more with Geffen.  The record label has to see enough interest to make the vinyl reissue worth it, and I'm not sure they do beyond AAEA and RTS.

Yes, for a band that prides itself on its live performance, they have gotten very stale.

This has become one of the most disappointing things to me.  Checking out their setlists for this year's tour, they've become so similar with minor variation that I was thoroughly appalled.

Closing out the shows with a combination of A Long December, Mr. Jones, and Hanginaround, followed by an encore of Palisades Park and Rain King, seems depressingly lazy to me.  Then, to see some live recordings from some of the shows and how muted their energy feels, it seems like the band has settled into a rut.

I kind of hope they take a break from touring for a while and center themselves again.