Author Topic: Summer US tour 2016  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Berry

• Marianne
Re: Summer US tour 2016
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2016, 07:37:12 PM »
Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the setlist of the show I went to in Boston, but they sounded great and made it a great night. To me the issue is not the band but the 50-50 split of rob thomas fans and counting crows fans. The Rob thomas fans just don't want to hear Counting Crows. So throughout the sets they're leaving or their talking and complaining that Rob thomas isn't the headliner. I had tons of people leave and it just made it seem awkward. But I thought the band was tight.

Perhaps you are right. Depends on the person though. It's kind of like when they were touring with Maroon 5. CC people were complaining about Maroon 5 and vice versa.
But somebody I know from the old CC messageboard, said that it wasn't the best show she had seen and that the energy was slow. So perhaps Adam did have an off day. Which can happen of course.
The negative energy on Facebook really got to me last night. Up to a point I really had to say something. At least people on here state their opinion in a normal manner. Really I don't know where certain people get their ideas from on there. ::)

I think this is a perfect time to bring Have You Seen Me Lately back into the setlist.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:20:16 PM by Berry »
Everybody's starry eyed

It's like I'm standing on the edge with just a telephone wire
Trying to get to you first to say the world's on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIpJqW5Mz4

Offline Kruykster

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »
I was supposed to catch them tomorrow night in Syracuse, and can no longer do the 4 hour drive each way, so unfortunately will be losing out on the tickets I won in the contest, and am feeling bummed about it. But can't wait to see them again soon!

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
The Facebook page of every band above a certain size is basically a wasteland.

The co-headlining thing is always an issue - big fans of one band are there for them, want to see them play as long as possible, etc. It's understandable. I'm glad it seems they've found a way for both bands to get decent length sets this time around, which is my main complaint with these things.

Offline malysa

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2016, 01:53:27 AM »
I went to jones beach and boston and thought they were both great shows. One of those Rob Thomas fans that left handed me her center orchestra ticket as she was walking through the concourse. They were both really great nights.

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
beyond me why anybody would buy tickets and not bother to see both bands , not a big fan of MB20 find their music bland at best but I would certainly get there in time to watch RT and give him a chance to win me over , these co headline bills are always about the economics of touring , better to see your favourite band in this format with a slightly shorter set than usual than not at all , and I am pretty sure its not easy to get motivated sometimes to perform when you have seen a few hundred fans leave especially from the front rows.

what most of these people complain about Adams performances is why most of us still follow the band , the variation from one night to another even with the same set list , if you want polished and sometimes false perfection go and see the likes of Bon Jovi , do I need Adam to tell the crowd he loves them and this is his favourite city or venue when he doesnt mean it !
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »
True, it must be very hard to play for crowds like that and not let it affect you.Good to hear from the people that the shows they went to were great.

It's always the perfect time to put HYSML on the setlist if you ask me.

Offline Berry

• Marianne
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »

It's always the perfect time to put HYSML on the setlist if you ask me.

Word fellow dutchie word!
Everybody's starry eyed

It's like I'm standing on the edge with just a telephone wire
Trying to get to you first to say the world's on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIpJqW5Mz4

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2016, 02:56:51 AM »
One point to elaborate on Andy's post - I love, love, love that Adam only busts out the "this town's not really a drag" comment in Holiday in Spain in place that he actually loves. A lot of musicians would say that every night.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2016, 05:43:05 PM »
Finally got to see them last night.

Good show. Band went on right around 9:15 and played right up to 11. Setlist highlight was Daylight Fading. Adam was also really feeling the Lippy Kids alt in Rain King, ad libbing a bit and sounding great.

After all the conversation this summer - Adam seemed like Adam. A bit tired, and he looks in a bit worse shape than he's been in the last few years, but he was engaged in the show, talked to the crowd a bit. It was brutally humid last night, so I would think that explains the exhausted look.

Also, re: the setlist - the upside of going to one show this summer is that the repetition didn't really bother me, especially for the songs I love. Yes, I wish they'd pick a different alt for Elisabeth, but that song is beautiful and I can never be sad to see them play it. I've seen them open with Sullivan Street a lot of times over the last 5 years, but it's a perfect way to start a show and everytime he sings "I belong where you belong, because I belong with you" and I'm standing next to my wife, I get emotional. Anyway, just a reminder that the concerns about setlist variation are mostly academic, unless you're questioning the value proposition of going to 5 shows (which I'm not doing until they get on a different path with the shows, I think).

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:29:20 PM by cmigs »

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Thanks Chris i enjoyed reading your review.

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the review. 
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline malysa

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2016, 07:04:40 AM »
Tonight in Cincinnati

Round here- come outside
Daylight fading
Elvis went to hollywood
Goodnight Elisabeth- pale blue eyes
Omaha
Cover up the sun
Recovering the satellites
Anna begins
Miami- what would you do
Michelangelo
Big yellow taxi
Mr jones
A long december

Encore
Palisades Park
Rain king- lippy kids
Holiday in Spain

First, the crows set was delayed over an hour due to a storm. They came on at 1025 and ended at 12.
Best show I've seen so far this year. Everyone was on. I don't know if it's me or my exhaustedness or the good vibes at the venue but I thought tonight's version of recovering the satellites was the best I've ever heard, even better than the studio. But again, it's been a long week for me and I drove two hours, hungover, with only a few hours of sleep. Great show! Can't wait for tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:22:15 AM by malysa »

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
Glad to see less covers and more of the old originals. I love RTS live.Have a great time at the next show.

Offline Leonard1818

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »
Tonight in Cincinnati

Round here- come outside
Daylight fading
Elvis went to hollywood
Goodnight Elisabeth- pale blue eyes
Omaha
Cover up the sun
Recovering the satellites
Anna begins
Miami- what would you do
Michelangelo
Big yellow taxi
Mr jones
A long december

Encore
Palisades Park
Rain king- lippy kids
Holiday in Spain

First, the crows set was delayed over an hour due to a storm. They came on at 1025 and ended at 12.
Best show I've seen so far this year. Everyone was on. I don't know if it's me or my exhaustedness or the good vibes at the venue but I thought tonight's version of recovering the satellites was the best I've ever heard, even better than the studio. But again, it's been a long week for me and I drove two hours, hungover, with only a few hours of sleep. Great show! Can't wait for tomorrow night.

This show was AMAZING!!!   WoW! 

I was super-impressed.  No joke.  You're right that EVERYONE seemed on.  Adam seemed VERY into every song -- really pushing his vocals like he's done in some of the official live recordings. 

The setlist.  Oh man... the setlist... I can't believe what all they played -- Round here, Daylight Fading (which I thought we wouldn't hear b/c they had just played it recently), Goodnight Elisabeth, Recovering the Satellites, Anna, Miami, Michelangelo.... holy crap! 

I'm currently listening to it and it's quickly becoming a favorite live recording....

anything