Author Topic: Recovering the Satellites anniversary article  (Read 1022 times)

Offline malysa

• One for Sorrow
Recovering the Satellites anniversary article
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:05:45 PM »
This really hit the nail on the head for me. My father passed away at the beginning of the year on his 58th birthday. A few days later I bought a 15th or so used copy and have kept it in my car rotation for the last 9 months. I thought my grief had subsided until my birthday last week when I realized the day before that I wasn't going to get a phone call, a dinner, a card, or anything...
Planning another road trip to Cleveland in the coming days, I promised my best friend that I'd change the cds in my car with the exception of this one because I'm no where near done needing it. There is a reason that this album has been a huge part of my life and even my first (of two) Counting Crows tattoos. This album will never be old for me and will always act as somewhat of a security blanket for my tough times.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/counting-crows-recovering-the-satellites-was-one-of-the-best-rock-records-of-the-90s-7330959

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
Re: Recovering the Satellites anniversary article
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
If I only had one last album to listen to , it would probably be this one
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 04:00:14 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss.
For some people music is just music.For most of us it means so so much more.
Especially CC music has helped so many through difficult times in their life.
As far as the article goes,i can't think of anyone having a problem with seeing more RTS songs on the setlist.

Have a good roadtrip.

Offline Malayka

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:47:48 PM »
Fair shout that Andy.
Way back I remember once writing a post where I said that RTS wasn't as "perfect" as AAEA, but was imho the better record because of that. That's still stands for me - my favourite CC album and still one of my favourite albums full stop.
I do personally think, though, that the live versions of the songs from RTS are generally not as strong for me nowadays as they were originally - possibly with the exception of Catapult. Elisabeth was at its peak I think on the Hard Candy tour when it was effectively the centrepiece of the set, and the hybrid version of HYSML was always nice. And the best ALD is still the one from the 2 Meter Sessies - in fact could use an upload of that full uncut show as my copy is somewhere as a VHS. Just prefer how they were played mostly on that 97 tour, but I always welcome any RTS song in the set.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:58:08 PM by Malayka »

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:37:51 PM »
I think LD might have peaked for me in 2006-2009, when they started doing longer versions and ad libbing a bit (even the insertion of a bit of Murder, which became common, was pretty cool).

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »
Martin , we just need the band to release the soundboard from our holy grail show from 1997 at Sheffield City Hall
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:45:46 PM »
would love to see a deluxe version and then a concert release like AAEA

Offline Malayka

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 11:03:28 PM »
Andy

We certainly do - my holy grails are the complete Leeds Town & Country show from 1994, Sheffield City Hall (Spring 97) and Liverpool (Dec 97) - these ought to be priorities for Live Countin. g Crows. I still swear that Anna Begins in Sheffield was unlike any other time I've heard it (and I've heard a lot of versions).

Agree with thehappymundays but I'm sure I heard that they had lost a lot of the tapes from these sessions - but studio versions of Suffocate, Good Luck etc would be great.

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 06:56:31 AM »
Unfortunately I think the historical love releases are long gone  >:(

anything