Author Topic: *Creating a new SHARED DRIVE for Crows Town*  (Read 3594 times)

Offline kamio

Re: *Creating a new SHARED DRIVE for Crows Town*
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:31 AM »

I know it was done with the best intentions but i would like to know if converting lossless shows into MP3 and adding that to the share was a one time thing or will it be the new normal if more people request shows in MP3.For me personally that really is a bridge too far.

You hit the nail on the head... I did the convert because it was requested and I truly had the best intentions. 

I, personally, in the future will no longer do converts from FLAC to lossless.  I will provide the link to the FLAC and leave the conversion to the requester.   

I will however still continue to convert old lossy (APE/SHN) to FLAC as I see them.

Thanks for the reminder (re: no MP3 converts, unless for personal use)

Dutchie: Since I think you uploaded the Flying Demos;  If you would like I will remove the MP3 convert I did from the Share at your request.  Please let me know.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »
Good to hear some more opinions ,i agree with most of it so maybe i need to clarify some things.
In the ideal situation the lossless shows would be in Flac,Ape or SHN and the lossy shows in M4A or MP3.However if we don't have a certain lossless show i would rather see a lossy version than no show at all.
I also understand that some people have converted their lossless shows to lossy format for personal use and are now uploading them because they no longer have the original format.If a show is in M4A and someone adds it in Flac later it's okay to leave it in two formats i guess.
However if a show is already in the drive in Flac i really feel we don't need to add a lossy format later or convert it.If people want it in a different format they should convert it themselves just like any show that was downloaded from Crowstown before.
My comment was a reaction to Flying Demos being converted.It's a show that has been shared in lossy format very often.Here on CT we have a fine lossless copy that i asume almost all of us have so i felt there really was no need to convert it back to MP3 again and add those to the dive.If it had been some random show i may not have reacted the way i did.
Kamio APE and SHN are also (old) lossless formats so if you convert them to FLac it still remains lossless (lossless is good and what we prefer )
None of these recordings are mine and this drive is a joined effort so you can do whatever you want with them.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »
Good to hear some more opinions ,i agree with most of it so maybe i need to clarify some things.
In the ideal situation the lossless shows would be in Flac,Ape or SHN and the lossy shows in M4A or MP3.However if we don't have a certain lossless show i would rather see a lossy version than no show at all.
I also understand that some people have converted their lossless shows to lossy format for personal use and are now uploading them because they no longer have the original format.If a show is in M4A and someone adds it in Flac later it's okay to leave it in two formats i guess.
However if a show is already in the drive in Flac i really feel we don't need to add a lossy format later or convert it.If people want it in a different format they should convert it themselves just like any show that was downloaded from Crowstown before.
My comment was a reaction to Flying Demos being converted.It's a show that has been shared in lossy format very often.Here on CT we have a fine lossless copy that i asume almost all of us have so i felt there really was no need to convert it back to MP3 again and add those to the dive.If it had been some random show i may not have reacted the way i did.
Kamio APE and SHN are also (old) lossless formats so if you convert them to FLac it still remains lossless (lossless is good and what we prefer )
None of these recordings are mine and this drive is a joined effort so you can do whatever you want with them.

Fair point on the Flying Demos - that's a tape that's very likely to be passed around and it's a good thing to have it in the best quality possible.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
The ones I'm adding today are fresh rips from Jason (dstryr712) who's been going through the batch of discs Dan Anderson sent me a while ago.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
Isn't it easier if we add Flac to a folder that already excist that the Flac is in a seperate file added to that same folder.Similar to Disc one disc two.
I noticed several shows recently added (2000) have both formats mixed in the same file so i asume if you want to download it in just one format you either have to download the whole thing and remove the ones you don't want or click on the particular songs in the format you want manually.

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
Hey Dutchie, thanks for the genuine thoughts. I think we're on the same page. The ONLY reason I still leave the lossy (or lesser) copy when I add the lossless copy is because there are some shows I personally have that are lossless, but have some sort of error to it. Like, the person who shared it with me ripped it from a cd with some scratches or something, so I'm hearing clicks/skips in a few songs, but the lossy copy is cleaner in those points (since it came from a different collector). Or, where the lossless copy is missing a song, but the lossy one somehow has it. So I tend to use both if necessary. Just in case there are situations where the lossless copy isn't perfect, having a second copy can be of benefit. I think what we'd both agree on is that we need the lossless copies on there if at all possible. I don't want to violate anyone's standards with lossy stuff, but I just wanted this to be as complete as it possibly can be. Does that sound alright?

And I agree with you that sometimes things have been added to the same folder, making a mess. That's something I want to go back and organize. I think it's best to label the date-folder with the formats it contains (FLAC/MP3/APE, etc) and then have a subfolder with each copy/format separate. I see no reason not to get those things organized.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:05:41 PM by cmstewart21 »
I could break like a bird and I could swallow the sea.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Isn't it easier if we add Flac to a folder that already excist that the Flac is in a seperate file added to that same folder.Similar to Disc one disc two.
I noticed several shows recently added (2000) have both formats mixed in the same file so i asume if you want to download it in just one format you either have to download the whole thing and remove the ones you don't want or click on the particular songs in the format you want manually.

Sorry about that, thought it was easy enough to distinguish. Will always make separate folders in the future.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2018, 05:04:20 PM »
It's easy to distinguish just less convenient if you want to download in one go.Sorry i know i can be a pain in the ass,it's the perfectionist in me.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2018, 08:46:15 PM »
It's easy to distinguish just less convenient if you want to download in one go.Sorry i know i can be a pain in the ass,it's the perfectionist in me.

No worries, it's a fair point and very little extra work.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
Stewart i think we're on the same page too.I agree the subfolder works best, a lot of shows are already like that so we could fix the ones that are mixed up.
Do you know where we stand regarding the amount of space we have available.I asume we are using more space than planned with the multiple formats.
Also there is an empty DVD folder are we planning to upload those too ?

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
Question for someone with more audioknowledge than me.If i have a show in Flac but the format is smaller than normal Flac but bigger than normal Lossy.Does that mean it's most likely some kind of rip and therefore lossy ? I wasn't sure so i added Lossy to be safe.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2018, 04:40:45 PM »
Question for someone with more audioknowledge than me.If i have a show in Flac but the format is smaller than normal Flac but bigger than normal Lossy.Does that mean it's most likely some kind of rip and therefore lossy ? I wasn't sure so i added Lossy to be safe.

Is it an acoustic show? The size of FLAC files depends in part on the amount of information in them. So, a full band show will have larger files than an acoustic show.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2018, 05:01:40 PM »
No i think it was a normal show 2001-10-20. The size is similar to The backyard Austin that i also uploaded,i know that one was a rip from Anton's video and lossy.

Offline allenduritz

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
I am trying to figure out on sync if  2000.02.10 Las Vegas FLAC  is labeled correctly.
Also, deleted the FLAC on 2000.01.23_Ariel Houston because it was the wrong show.

Offline dutchieblue

• hit me with music
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Allen it's not, it looks like they played Vegas 2000.10.02 and there was no show on 2002.02.10 I know in the past some people labeled their shows European style so day first then month that could cause the mix up.

It looks like we uploaded about 220 GB so far.Not bad :)

anything