Author Topic: *Creating a new SHARED DRIVE for Crows Town*  (Read 521 times)

Offline cmstewart21

• And other perfect things.
*Creating a new SHARED DRIVE for Crows Town*
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:49 AM »

I've known the joy of discovering more and more Counting Crows music... to excess almost. It just never gets old. And it's why I'm a loyal fan and a devoted member to crows-town.

Now with the torrent tracker gone, it's time to start something new. It's been discussed more recently, but as of yesterday Kamio and I opened a cloud drive with enough potential space to fit every single Counting Crows bootleg we know of (at a very reasonable price). The ultimate goal is one, single resource carrying a full, historical library of shows to listen to & download here in Crows Town.

This has been such a valuable resource to me since 2006, and I know there's a mass of fans out there without the access to the live music I had back then. Without the torrents and downloads, I never would have become as passionate about the band. It's what Crows-town should be and I think we all want to see it be that again.

So, to do this, we need a collaboration. More specifically.. donations - the digital kind. No one's obligated to take a part in it, but it's really, really welcomed! As well as any and all thoughts or suggestions. I hope this can be a project for this community to create something grand to represent Counting Crows for the fans to enjoy.

If you have a good collection that you're willing to contribute for the shared drive, let me/us know. It will definitely take time to upload & collect the shows, but each show only needs to uploaded once... much simpler than needing to seed them time and time again. If you have ideas and desire to be actively involved, we can give some members access to the folders to upload directly to them. The more people uploading, the easier/faster things will get added to it. If you'd like to simply send shows for us to upload, send them via any means you desire (google drive, we-transfer, cd, mega, etc). As soon as a show gets added we'll cross it off Simon's list. Until the day the final show is posted. :D

So that's the news! Please spread the word to members who aren't on here as much right now. I'm hoping this is something that can bring more long-time members back around!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:31:56 AM by cmstewart21 »
I could break like a bird and I could swallow the sea.

Online allenduritz

• One for Sorrow
Re: *Creating a new SHARED DRIVE for Crows Town*
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »
I am willing to contribute, and I included Simon's checklist as an attachment. The shows I have are in red. I still need plenty...I can never get enough. It is time to give back and make Crows-Town a happening place again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:55:35 PM by allenduritz »

Offline tenzin

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 10:52:07 PM »
Would lossy mp3 format shows be wanted if nothing else was available? If so, I have a bunch.

"Patience is a strength, not a weakness; and if by practicing patience we stop retaliating to harm and criticism, people will gradually come to understand that our real nature is very special"

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »
I am willing to contribute, and I included Simon's checklist as an attachment. The shows I have are in red. I still need plenty...I can never get enough. It is time to give back and make Crows-Town a happening place again.

Nice Allen! That's a great collection. I'll PM you with some more info.

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:09:53 PM »
Would lossy mp3 format shows be wanted if nothing else was available? If so, I have a bunch.

This is where why we're going by Simon's Bootleg db list. For each show that's out there, he's marked if Lossless (or only lossy) copies exist. If only lossy one's exist though, we'd want them upsampled to Flac format, because that preserves the quality better than mp3 will.

Offline thehappymundays

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »

This is where why we're going by Simon's Bootleg db list. For each show that's out there, he's marked if Lossless (or only lossy) copies exist. If only lossy one's exist though, we'd want them upsampled to Flac format, because that preserves the quality better than mp3 will.

Hi apologies I don't want to come across as rude how will decoding preserve quality ?Dave

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 12:37:52 AM »
Dave, perhaps you know more than I do. I just had a discussion last week about this here >> http://crows-town.com/index.php?topic=5342.msg52311#new

"Upsampled = lossy bumped up to FLAC. For example, if I record a lossy web stream in MP3 and FLAC it, it would be upsampled - the file has been made bigger but no more information is in there. A lot of times this happens because someone's trying to maintain the highest quality possible (particularly when recording a stream)."

Please feel free to enlighten me... I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to do it right.

Offline kamio

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 03:28:37 AM »
I am excited to help create an archive of all this great music.  I am also grateful for the support of the community.

Shoot either myself or Cmstewart a PM, and we'll get you sorted out.

Thanks again!
Kamio
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:18:32 AM by kamio »

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 10:25:44 PM »
Dave, perhaps you know more than I do. I just had a discussion last week about this here >> http://crows-town.com/index.php?topic=5342.msg52311#new

"Upsampled = lossy bumped up to FLAC. For example, if I record a lossy web stream in MP3 and FLAC it, it would be upsampled - the file has been made bigger but no more information is in there. A lot of times this happens because someone's trying to maintain the highest quality possible (particularly when recording a stream)."

Please feel free to enlighten me... I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to do it right.

What I meant here is that you might get lossy if you were, for example, recording a stream in FLAC to preserve quality. That does not mean you should intentionally upsample, especially when something has only been recorded in mp3. There's no point.

Also, a lot of sources marked as LOSSY on Simon's sheet are not better off in mp3 format. A lot of the audience tapes from that time were recorded to minidisc, which appears lossy in a spectrum analysis. But an mp3 version of that source is still worse than the original files.

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense Chris. I think I misunderstood, or just wasn't communicating what I thought very well.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:50:47 AM by cmstewart21 »

Offline kamio

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »
Alright... Woot!  It's coming together beautifully.

We got cwstewart, cmigs,and javajones adding to the archive!

Soon Allendurtiz

This is great!  Thanks to all those contributions!

Online allenduritz

• One for Sorrow
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 05:02:02 AM »
I am on board  :)

Offline Dan33185

• Two for Mirth
    • http://music4humans.us/

Offline kamio

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 02:41:30 AM »
I don't do social media...  But is anyone a member of Merry Murders?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CCrowsMM/posts/?ref=page_internal

I've heard they also have a share set up as well.

Offline cmstewart21