Author Topic: 1997 Birthday bootleg sped up??  (Read 148 times)

Offline cmstewart21

• And other perfect things.
1997 Birthday bootleg sped up??
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »
So, I was listening to the 08/01/97 bootleg from Columbia MD this weekend (Adam's birthday show) and it just sounded.. "off" to me. His voice sounded extra high-pitched, extra clean, and I just figured he was like... extra giddy that day or something? But it wasn't normal.

So I loaded the Walkaways and MOO tracks into Audacity with a couple other versions of those songs and figured out that based on the Keys the songs were in, the tracks from the Columbia show had been sped up about 5%. Is this just my copy, or was the whole show broadcast on the radio this way? I'm glad I figured out why it sounded funky... I'm just confused if this is a normal thing.  :-\
I could break like a bird and I could swallow the sea.

Offline yidosengland

• \" not old , just older \"
Re: 1997 Birthday bootleg sped up??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
Not listened to it in a long time but I do remember this one being at a faster sound level I always figured the original recording was probably done on a cheap cassette recorder from the radio resulting in the strange sound
Andy , somewhere in the heart of Sherwood Forest in little old England

Offline lewislfowler

• One for Sorrow
    • http://www.untuckedfilms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »
might have been the cassette recording off the radio. might have also been the radio's attempt to make it fit into a certain time slot.

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:58:15 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of or seen an old bootleg cd called "Here Comes the Rain King"? It's on the Tendolar label. It's supposed to have this particular show, but I don't know how it would differ from the FM recording (other than it being incomplete). I like this show, so if that cd is a better (and not-sped-up) version of it, I'd love to grab it.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »
Have not heard that bootleg, but I'm pretty sure all the copies of that show are sped up. The best they could have done was speed correct it, but they may not have even done that.

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »
I guess I'll just try to speed correct my own (just for myself). It looks like it was sped up 5%. So it's slowing it down ~4.762% should be really close. I did it to Round Here and played it simultaneously with another version, and it seemed identical (in pitch/speed).

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:52:03 PM »
I just heard back from someone who owns that cd, and it seems it's a pre-FM recording. But oddly, the tracks on the cd seem SLOWED down, not sped up. I can't figure out why they'd do that... since it would take up more space on a disc by doing it. But it does seem to be a separate recording.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:46 PM »
I just heard back from someone who owns that cd, and it seems it's a pre-FM recording. But oddly, the tracks on the cd seem SLOWED down, not sped up. I can't figure out why they'd do that... since it would take up more space on a disc by doing it. But it does seem to be a separate recording.

It's also possible that in attempting to speed correct, they overdid it.

Offline cmstewart21

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
Yeah that could be. The guy who owns it appears willing to rip/share it for me. So I'll look at it a little more. If I were to try to correct it, what program would sound best for speed adjustments? I've only used Audacity but I wonder if there's something better.

Offline cmigs

• I am the rain king.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »
I've only used Audacity as well.