Author Topic: The book or the film?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline flips

• Five for Silver
The book or the film?
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »
Have you ever read a book because you liked the film version of it so much, or vice versa?

What do you prefer, the book or the film?

I'm usually disappointed when I see films that are based on books that I've read. They always have to leave a lot out from the book for the film version, and often those things are my favourite parts.

I love the film "The World According to Garp" though, but I read that book after I had seen the film, so maybe that has something to do with it too.
I like soap bubbles.

My books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/flips

Offline Sommerkind

• One for Sorrow
The book or the film?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:33:17 AM »
Me too, with Garp. I liked the movie, but thought the book was better.

I often watch movies of books I read, and less often read books the movies I saw were based on.

I love the LOTR movies, but I never got through Tolkien. Time and again, I think I should give it another try, but there are so many books in my shelf.

And I knew the first three Harry Potter movies before I started to read the books. It's funny how the movies manage to capture me in a different way than the books. I actually consider them two different stories - or two different versions of the same story (which they are), like an image painted by two different artists. You'd still consider them separate, wouldn't you? Well, I do ... and it's often like that for me with books and movies. Because usually they're not that close to one another, and I try to see the movie as a separate piece of art - or, at least, a separate work.

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
The book or the film?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:06:53 PM »
I prefer The movie because in an hour an a half you get to know everything while a book can take you days to read. :) It is also because i like and watch movies alot!

Offline ImDez

• Four for a Birth
The book or the film?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »
I usually prefer the book to the movie except for (what is on mind) the Lord of the Rings and a Handmaid's Tale which had decent enough movies. The Harry Potter movies so far have been more than exceptional too. There are a few more out there.

If more producers would just go the extra mile we'd have more quality films.  That's why I love Sundance and Independent Films channels.  I don't mind paying for quality, it's the crap I pay for that gives me wedgies!
The wind cries, a girl\'s voice sings
You turn to see her, but don\'t find a thing

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
The book or the film?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
I like the movie Forrest Gump better than the book, and the movie Gone with the Wind better than the book. The film Fried Green Tomatoes was also a very good adaptation of the book, and so was The Remains of the Day. Except for those instances, though, I pretty much always enjoy the book more than the movie.

ImDez, I didn't know there was a movie of The Handmaid's Tale! That's one of my favorite books ever, so I'll have to check out the movie.
Claire