Author Topic: Need help about taping equipment  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
Need help about taping equipment
« on: April 25, 2007, 03:54:23 AM »
I'm thinking about getting into taping, but I am incredibly technologically-challenged. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

I tried to read through the manual that was linked above in the sticky post, but I'm still a little confused. I need this stuff explained to me step by step in the simplest manner possible.
Right now I'm looking for a MD recorder. I'm still unsure of how I'll get the music onto a computer or cd or something other than a minidisc so I can actually share the music with people. If one recorder that I'm looking at has an optical digital cable, will that allow me to upload the music onto a computer or something? Or will I need to get some other cable to do so? This recorder doesn't seem to have a USB port. Here's the one I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AIWA-AM-F70-MINI-DISC-PLAYER-DIGITAL-RECORDER-GOOD-COND_W0QQitemZ200103589682QQihZ010QQcategoryZ15056QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Does that look okay?
Besides buying a good microphone, will I need to get anything else for recording/converting/uploading music?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:23:31 PM by Clairvoyant »
Claire

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
stupid question about recording
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:54:32 AM »
Hi Clair,

I looked at the recorder and it is okay for a beginner, however it is a bit old and there are many other great recorders out there however i say again it is good to buy something cheap to start with. I have never recorded anything so all i can tell you is what you will be buying seems that has all the stuff you need to record a show. I would ask the seller all those questions you posted here as i am sure they would help you out more then we can. We have tapers here at Crowstown and i hope some of them can help you out more, but next time make the title something like "Need help about Taping Equipment" so it gets more hits! You know how it is here sometimes, death and sometimes all hell brakes lose!

Many Thanks

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:24:05 PM »
Thank you, Simon! I changed the title, that was good advice.
Claire

Offline kromer891

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:23:56 AM »
Clair,

First of all, congrats on wanting to get into taping. I bought my MD back last summer and unfortunately I've only used it once, but I was very happy with my recording. If you haven't downloaded it before, check it out here: http://www.crows-town.com/showthread.php?t=109

Also, let me give you a link to the ebayer I bought my set-up from. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZglenshereQQhtZ-1
His seller name is glenshere. He has lots of great deals and most are usually complete with microphones and all the cables, discs, headphones, adapters, etc that you'll need. As far as prices go, it's ebay... sometimes you'll grab a great deal, other times you'll pass as the prices go higher and higher. I was happy with what I got for the money compared to other auctions that I saw come and go. His stuff is definately higher-end than the recorder you showed. As far as quality goes, you have to figure that with most electronics you get what you pay for. I know it sounds like hokey advice, but quality does usually come for a price, YOU just have to decide what that price is. My stuff is definately lower-end compared to what most tapers that consistently put out the top-quality recordings use.

As far as getting the sound from your minidisc to your HD, there are several ways to go about it, but I really only know of three. 1) you need a minidisc reader that plugs into your USB. I have no idea how much these run, but I'm sure it'll put up the costs considerably. 2) you can use the microphone jack on most stereos and record on cassette tape. From there, you have the tape converted to CD by someone with the proper equipment. 3) you can find a male-male audio cable and use the audio-in jack on your PC and the headphone jack on your MD. You play with the MD and record on your HD using SonicRecordNow or some other capturing software in the highest quality WAV possible. From there you have to have additional software to split into tracks and fade in and out if desired, etc., etc.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this as well and I'm also sure there are others on here that can give you much better info than I can. Remember, I only have one experience so I'm in no way an authority here.

Feel free to post any more questions or if you'd rather, feel free to PM me any time.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know!

-Mark
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:27:24 AM by kromer891 »

Offline kromer891

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 04:40:17 AM »
Also, keep in mind, the MD recorder itself isn't as critical as a good microphone or set of microphones. A good set of microphones can run you 2 to 3x as much as your recorder and the higher quality you go, you will find it neccessary to run an auxilary power supply as well.

It just gets more and more expensive... but in the end, here's my theory:

My wife and I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars to see Counting Crows play live over the years (our 10 month old Honda Oddessey was demolished and suffered over $13,000 worth of damage on our trip to see them play Milwaukee Summerfest last summer alone, but that's another story altogether). In the end, I spend in the neighborhood of $175 on my equip and I can't tell you how happy I was to be able to share my recording with everybody in the CC community. Without spending the money and making the commitment, the show would not have been taped and would not be in circulation. It was worth the $$$ for that alone! I only wish I could have grabed some of the earlier shows I've been to that never saw the light of day (despite being recorded by someone somewhat close to the band who chooses to hoard the music away for himself and that 'inner circle' [love ya rob!] that Adam himself wishes to be made available to the fans).

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 04:19:19 AM »
Thanks so much for your help, everyone! I'm still looking around at recorders. I can't really afford a very expensive one, but I'm going to try to buy a good mic to go with it. I've been to a few CC concerts that I desperately wish I had recorded (there are no circulated recordings of the ones I've been to; Ehud has them but won't release them), and I finally decided I should start taping so that I can have recordings as souvenirs of the CC concerts I attend in the future (and so I can share them with everyone). I really appreciate all your help, and I'll let you know once I buy some equipment.
Claire

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
Quote from: Clairvoyant;3340
Ehud has them but won't release them.

Why don't you email him and tell him to get his ass here and start seeding?
There are tons of shows that aren't being traded!

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:10:35 PM »
Quote from: Simon;3342
Why don't you email him and tell him to get his ass here and start seeding?
There are tons of shows that aren't being traded!

Trust me, I've already asked if he would release them, but unfortunately the answer is no. :sad:
Claire

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 01:01:50 AM »
Quote from: Clairvoyant;3352
Trust me, I've already asked if he would release them, but unfortunately the answer is no. :sad:

But why not? That is very sad.... Could you try again and tell him about us? I doubt it that he doesn't know about CT but just making sure :p

Offline Anton

• Pierrot the clown
    • http://fitzcairn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 01:41:13 AM »
Because he's only taping for him and the inner circle.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:17:18 PM by Anton »
http://www.myspace.com/woodythefrench | http://twitter.com/Fitzcairn_

"I\'ve been to Paris 2000, Austin Texas 2001, Paris 2003, Brussels 2004, Paris 2008 and Brussels 2008 !"

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 08:40:50 AM »
Quote from: Simon;3353
But why not? That is very sad.... Could you try again and tell him about us? I doubt it that he doesn't know about CT but just making sure :p

he knows we're here. he just doesn't actively trade anymore. we just gotta live with it.
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12

Offline jgsgtr

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 01:00:41 PM »
'inner circle?'..i thought that was just legend. i didn't realize people actual have a sharing deficit over 'trade friendly music'
...that seems to devalue the purpose artists encourage their shows to be recorded.            sad.
Honey, I\'m just trying to make some sense outta me.

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »
Quote from: kromer891;3319
3) you can find a male-male audio cable and use the audio-in jack on your PC and the headphone jack on your MD. You play with the MD and record on your HD using SonicRecordNow or some other capturing software in the highest quality WAV possible. From there you have to have additional software to split into tracks and fade in and out if desired, etc., etc.

Mark, thanks again for your info. I have another question: I don't know if you or anyone else here will be able to answer it, but I figured I might as well ask. Would this option generally work on a Mac (that's what I have)? Does the MD recorder need to be Mac-compatible?
Claire

Offline kromer891

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »
Your operating system and platform don't make any difference here. By using a cable and your audio-in, the MD works as a stand alone unit. It would work just like plugging in a walkman or your stereo system. There are no drivers to install, no compatability issues.

I'm sure that this method is not the preferred method to use, but it works and when you're on a budget, sometimes that's all that counts. Using your MD like this, you're not transferring any data, but rather just sound. SonicRecordNow and other software simply captures the sounds as they play through your soundcard. The only issues you would have would be finding Mac-compatible capture software, which shouldn't be too tough.

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 09:58:10 PM »
Thanks to the help of some great people on this board, I recorded my first concert! And it sounds pretty good! It was The Decemberists at Central Park Summerstage. Now I just have to wait for a Counting Crows concert that I can attend, and I'll be sure to share my bootleg here. :-)
Claire