Author Topic: Need help about taping equipment  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
stupid question about recording
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 10:37:55 PM »
Quote from: Clairvoyant;6195
Thanks to the help of some great people on this board, I recorded my first concert! And it sounds pretty good! It was The Decemberists at Central Park Summerstage. Now I just have to wait for a Counting Crows concert that I can attend, and I'll be sure to share my bootleg here. :-)

FANTASTIC Claire..... We have got another taper and you don't know how happy that makes me. It is one of the things that we wanted to achieve from this site and it is coming along very nicley. We have alteast 4 new people taping and that is awsome. I also wanna thanks all the people that help out in anyway to this site!

Thanks again

Regards

Offline mrcmb99

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 09:11:05 AM »
Ok, here are my thoughts, and i wrote that faq type deal (i promise to update it soon).

First of all, the best advice that i can give you is to first of all, buy the best mics you can afford.  Most of the fairly newere minidiscs will all record with about the same quality level.  Cheap mics wont.  

Second of all, the whole, "it cost the most so it must be better" theory only works sometimes.  If ur gonna use this theory, use the "it cost the second most so its the best and the most expensize is usually jsut a poser theory..>" but im not gonna debate that here.

As for converting to cd, it all depends on how you wanna convert.  If ur staying digitial, you will need a digital or optical output, which most portable minidiscs do not have.  Or you need a newer model minidisc that will do usb transfer from the minidsic to the computer (these types of minidsic recorder run about $280 now a days)...

If you wanna do analog, u can use the headphone output and get a cord with two miniplugs and hook it straight into your comptuers soundcard and record using any number of programs out there.  I recommend total recorder, but you can probably find some type of freeware if you dont wanna pay the ten bucks.  Be warrned--people in trading communities get kinda pissed about analog recordings as its a slighly lower quality.  But, if keeping it digitial is not within your budget, then this is better than nothing, and if they are so concerned with the quality of your converstions, perhhaps they should invent the time and the money to not only tape but to do the transfer.  In essence, do what you can afford.  This hsould be a fun experinece...

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 09:36:08 PM »
someone talk some sense into me. I can't even figure out how to upload a show but i've spent the last 3 days researching sound gear. I'm actually thinking about buying an entire rig and attempting to tape Tuesday night's show in NY. this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. still working out the financials and if it can get here in time. right now i'm dealing with pre-amps, battery packs and other assorted thing i know nothing about. i suppose field testing it for the first time at a show you really want is about the dumbest thing you can do but all of this has come about very last minute. i've been trying to talk myself into it for the last week. help!

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 09:52:51 PM »
Quote from: tigger165;9152
someone talk some sense into me. I can't even figure out how to upload a show but i've spent the last 3 days researching sound gear. I'm actually thinking about buying an entire rig and attempting to tape Tuesday night's show in NY. this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. still working out the financials and if it can get here in time. right now i'm dealing with pre-amps, battery packs and other assorted thing i know nothing about. i suppose field testing it for the first time at a show you really want is about the dumbest thing you can do but all of this has come about very last minute. i've been trying to talk myself into it for the last week. help!

Welcome to the club.  I too am going to try taping for the first time at this show, so I'm probably not the one to give advice.  What gear are you looking at?  My setup is very low-budget, and my seats aren't fantastic, so you should go for it!!!  For what it's worth, I worked with Chris at soundprofessionals.com, and he was amazingly helpful, answered all of my questions over the phone, and made sure everything got to me in time for the show.

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »
Yes my wonderful timing - I decided to make the plunge this morning and SoundProfessionals are closed on Fridays. Chris did still shoot me off an email today (which was incredibly nice of him). I'm looking at the Edirol R-09, plus some mics and a power supply/pre-amp.

Offline philjw

• boy who looks like elvis
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »
Quote from: tigger165;9154
Yes my wonderful timing - I decided to make the plunge this morning and SoundProfessionals are closed on Fridays. Chris did still shoot me off an email today (which was incredibly nice of him). I'm looking at the Edirol R-09, plus some mics and a power supply/pre-amp.

Nice.  The Edirol is supposed to be great, and I'd probably buy one if I were sure that I'd be doing more of this in the future.  This is kind of an experiment for me.  Anyway, where are you sitting?  I'd be interested in seeing your setup at the show if you get everything in time.  Not sure where you're located, but it might be easiest to have the stuff shipped directly to NYC as Sound Professionals is just across the river in Jersey.  

Phil

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 10:39:07 PM »
Quote from: tigger165;9154
I'm looking at the Edirol R-09, plus some mics and a power supply/pre-amp.

That rig isn't bad at all but remember the trick is to get good external mics. Goodluck Tigger

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 10:51:54 PM »
Mics look good: SOUND PROFESSIONALS NEW! PREMIUM AUDIO TECHNICA CARDIOID STEREO MICROPHONES. trying to pull it all together now.

Offline ImDez

• Four for a Birth
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »
The wind cries, a girl\'s voice sings
You turn to see her, but don\'t find a thing

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 12:32:22 AM »
Quote from: tigger165;9161
Mics look good: SOUND PROFESSIONALS NEW! PREMIUM AUDIO TECHNICA CARDIOID STEREO MICROPHONES. trying to pull it all together now.

Yeah very good mics.. How much are they gonna cost you? The reason i ask is because when CC tours europe i will have to buy some equipment myself to tape some shows....

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 01:49:39 AM »
'bout $225 for the mics.

Offline tigger165

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »
ok i bought everything... now it just needs to get here by tuesday and i have to figure out how to work it all. after that i'm sure i'll have 20 questions about transferring the files, splitting the tracks, etc. this has to be the dumbest thing i've ever done but what the hell.

Offline Clairvoyant

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Quote from: tigger165;9194
ok i bought everything... now it just needs to get here by tuesday and i have to figure out how to work it all. after that i'm sure i'll have 20 questions about transferring the files, splitting the tracks, etc. this has to be the dumbest thing i've ever done but what the hell.

No, it's great that you're doing it! All of us who won't be there and will now get to hear the concert really appreciate it. And don't worry, you'll figure everything out. I just started taping this summer and I had no clue what I was doing when I started. I still don't understand everything, but I've been able to make some good recordings and turn them into files that I can listen to, and it's pretty cool.
Claire

Offline jgsgtr

• Three for a Wedding
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 01:38:41 AM »
a virgin taping, how exciting!:yourock:
Honey, I\'m just trying to make some sense outta me.

Offline mrcmb99

• Two for Mirth
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 03:58:23 AM »
If you buy good mics and a decent recorder, you probably wont need a preamp or battery box or all that good stuff.  Obviouly it will help y our recordings and make them better, but not necessary if ur just looking for the basics to get started.

And yes, Chris C at Soundprofessionals is a really nice guy...tell him i sent you lol!

anything