Author Topic: Does OOP = OK to trade?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline vor

• Two for Mirth
    • http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/timmckay/
Does OOP = OK to trade?
« on: October 10, 2006, 11:01:43 PM »
I can't seem to get anyone with factual comments to answer this...just "I think so" and the like...

If something is out of print, is it OK to trade? I have DVDs that were authored from VHS or Laserdisc originals. The titles have never been released in DVD format, and none of them are even printed anymore. Are they legal to trade?

Offline hgrunwell

• Technical Support
  • Administrator
Does OOP = OK to trade?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 11:12:40 PM »
Unfortunately not:

No torrent may distribute any official material. This includes:

- All official releases, even if out of print;

- Upcoming official releases announced by the artist or the label;

- The separated audio part of official VHS videos, Laserdisc videos, or DVD videos - even if the recording is from a different source from that of the officially available material;

- Alternate recording sources of any officially released performance, unless specifically permitted by the artist's published policy for trading;

- Video material whose audio portion has officially released content.

- Remixes, remasters, alternate mixes, and alternate edits of any officially available material;

- Recordings (audio or video) of shows produced by or for subscription cable/satellite/broadcast channels or premium cable/satellite channels (such as, but not limited to, HBO, Showtime, XM Radio, SIRIUS, Canal+, Wowow, and Mezzo -- such stations and assert and enforce copyrights on all their content): in the absence of contrary evidence, we will infer that broadcast material was produced for the channel that aired it.

No torrent may distribute any material of artists, either individuals or bands, who do not agree to the electronic distribution of their unofficially recorded live shows.

No torrent may contain compressed archive files, i.e. ZIP, RAR, GZ, etc.

No torrent may contain MKW files.

No torrent may contain uncompressed PCM audio files like WAV, AIFF. Including such files in a torrent is a huge waste of bandwidth.

Microsoft Windows executable filetypes like EXE and COM are not allowed in a Torrent for obvious reasons.

Torrents without a self-explanatory title or detailed description indicating all contents, as well as torrented data not containing an info-file in plain text format with the content's description, are not allowed on any Naabe sites.

Offline Rob

• smoke & rain
Does OOP = OK to trade?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
Quote from: vor;196
I can't seem to get anyone with factual comments to answer this...just "I think so" and the like...

If something is out of print, is it OK to trade? I have DVDs that were authored from VHS or Laserdisc originals. The titles have never been released in DVD format, and none of them are even printed anymore. Are they legal to trade?

are you talking about CC dvd's. I'd be interested to hear if you have anything cool.
D.A.H
19.08.09 - 30.01.12

Offline vor

• Two for Mirth
    • http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/timmckay/
Does OOP = OK to trade?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:07:01 AM »
Quote from: acwk;200
are you talking about CC dvd's. I'd be interested to hear if you have anything cool.

Nah, no CC stuff. I'm just talking in general. And thanks to hgrunwell for the detailed description...I feel bad saying I knew the rules of the site, and I wasn't really asking about torrents in particular. I'm guessing it applies for any other trading too?

I've been snail mail trading quite a bit lately, and I'm noticing a lot of people have out-of-print material on their trade page. For instance, Ozzy-Speak Of The Devil, April Wine - Live In London...I know they were VHS releases (maybe LD too) but they've long since been discontinued. These are good honest traders, not crooks. They wouldn't trade or sell official stuff.

I'm guessing that OOP=OK is one of those lies that gets told so much it becomes the standard belief?

Offline Tide

• Administrator
Does OOP = OK to trade?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 12:55:30 AM »
The problem is, even though it is OOP it is still copyright and owned by someone.

Offline Pock

• One for Sorrow
Does OOP = OK to trade?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:56:54 PM »
Snail mail trading of OOP material is sort of like driving a bit above the speed limit: nobody's going to say you're immoral for doing it, and most people get away with it, but it is illegal and there could be consequences.  So it might be seen as OK because nobody's being taken to court over it, just like (almost) nobody gets speeding tickets for going 1 mph over, but it isn't something I'd recommend advertising to the world if you decide to do it against the law.

Offline Simon

• Papa\' Crow
  • Administrator
Does OOP = OK to trade?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:58:46 PM »
Quote from: Pock;2483
Snail mail trading of OOP material is sort of like driving a bit above the speed limit: nobody's going to say you're immoral for doing it, and most people get away with it, but it is illegal and there could be consequences.  So it might be seen as OK because nobody's being taken to court over it, just like (almost) nobody gets speeding tickets for going 1 mph over, but it isn't something I'd recommend advertising to the world if you decide to do it against the law.

I totaly agree!